This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.837 / 53°50'13"N
Longitude: -1.7892 / 1°47'21"W
OS Eastings: 413971
OS Northings: 437883
OS Grid: SE139378
Mapcode National: GBR J92.D3
Mapcode Global: WHC92.HT7B
Entry Name: Victoria Hall Including Wall, Gate Piers and Sculpted Lions to Front Area, and Railings to Rear
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314205
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337542
Location: Bradford, BD18
Electoral Ward/Division: Shipley
Built-Up Area: Shipley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Shipley St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 1338 SE SHIPLEY VICTORIA ROAD
22/11/66 including wall,
to front area,
Saltaire Institute. 1867-71. By Lockwood and Mawson for Titus Salt.
Ashlar, with rock-faced stone to basement. Welsh slate roof. T-plan.
Two storeys and basement. Symmetrical, 11-bay Italianate facade.
Vermiculated quoins to ground floor and portal. Pilaster-quoins to
1st floor. The central bay breaks forward and is surmounted by an
elaborate square tower with pyramidal ashlar roof. Each side of the
tower has a modillioned segmental pediment on an enriched entablature,
supported by Corinthian columns which frame slender round-arched windows.
Elaborate central portal with double, panelled doors, fanlight, and
large open segmental pediment supported on large consoles, the tympanum
with a cartouche bearing the Salt coat of army, and flanked by the
carved figures of Art and Science by Thomas Milnes. Square-headed
basement windows. Round-arched archivolted ground and lst-floor
windows, the latter framed by fluted Corinthian colonnettes, and with
carved head keystones and blind balustrade with turned balusters.
Dentilled cornice between ground and 1st floors. Modillioned cornice
forms base to deep, panelled parapet decorated with rosettes and
pedimented piers with grotesque winged beasts supporting iron finials.
Three-bay return elevations.
The main hall projects at rear and is 7 bays long by 5 bays wide with
tall slender round-arched windows with glazing bars and circles in
Interior: The entrance hall has a large, stone dog-leg staircase with
large square piers and vertically symmetrical turned balusters. The
main hall has an elaborately plastered, coffered roof. Pilasters
mark the bay divisions and support a bracketed entablature. Raking
gallery at rear on fluted cast-iron columns. Former side galleries
removed. Later glass panelling at rear.
Dwarf wall (railings missing) to front area with two pairs of square
ashlar piers to centre, two of which retain the decorative bases of
cast-iron lamp standards. At the front corners, on large square
bases, are 2 sculpted lions, by Thomas Milnes of London, representing
War and Peace. At the rear of the wall are round section cast-iron
railings with spear-head finials on a dwarf wall.
The institute cost £25,000 to build and contained a main hall to seat
800, a lecture room, 2 art rooms, a laboratory,'a gymnasium, a library
of 8,500 volumes and a reading room. A quarterly fee was charged and
ranged downwards from 2s. for adult males.
SE 1337 NE SHIPLEY VICTORIA ROAD
9/145 Victoria Hall
The institute is set back from the road and the front area, along
with that of the school opposite (q.v.),forms a gardened square.
Part of Saltaire model village.
D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Archtects and Architecture, 1978
J. Reynolds, The Great Paternalist 1983
Listing NGR: SE1397137883
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings