This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7946 / 53°47'40"N
Longitude: -1.7443 / 1°44'39"W
OS Eastings: 416938
OS Northings: 433170
OS Grid: SE169331
Mapcode National: GBR JLK.Z9
Mapcode Global: WHC99.5WMD
Entry Name: Caspian House
Listing Date: 9 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336388
Location: Bradford, BD1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 EAST PARADE BD1
SE 1633 SE 37/468 (Caspian House)
Corner site with Peckover Street. A fine ashlar sandstone warehouse/office palazzo
with bevelled corner, built in 1871 and designed by Eli Milnes. Five-storeys with
semi-basement; reeded plinth, alternate, deeply rebated, pulvinated and reeded
courses to basement; deep pulvinated band course to raised ground floor which has
reeded courses throughout. Moulded sill courses to first and second floors. Deep
moulded eaves cornice on modillion brackets. The bevelled corner (lighting circular
stair well) is flanked on upper floors by foliate capped pilasters with rusticated
shafts. First floor corner window has carved architrave surround and console brackets
to segmental pediment with iron finial. Balcony on large carved consoles above doorway.
The latter has rustication returned with deep reveals, rinceaux carved doorhead and
roll moulded arch carved with vine leaves shell and scrollwork carved in tympanum.
The basement windows of this warehouse, as with others in the area, have finely
wrought iron grilles of abstract geometric design.
Listing NGR: SE1693833170
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings