This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3655 / 53°21'55"N
Longitude: -1.2127 / 1°12'45"W
OS Eastings: 452488
OS Northings: 385686
OS Grid: SK524856
Mapcode National: GBR MYZJ.89
Mapcode Global: WHDDT.BNSV
Entry Name: Dinnington Hall
Listing Date: 29 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335748
Location: Dinnington St. John's, Rotherham, S25
Civil Parish: Dinnington St. John's
Built-Up Area: Dinnington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Dinnington St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
DINNINGTON ST. JOHN'S FALCON WAY
Dinnington Hall I
Large house now hotel. Early-mid C18 with alterations of 1752 for Henry Athorpe
attributed to James Paine (Colvin, p610); later additions and interiors by
John Carr. Ashlar sandstone, C20 cement tile and Westmorland slate roofs. Two
storeys with attics, 5-bay symmetrical front. Plinth. Central porch with C20
part-glazed door, flanking pilasters, triple keystone and entablature which breaks
forward. 2-pane sash over has architrave with keystone surmounted by carved bird.
Flanking 2-storey canted-bay windows with 2-pane sashes separated by pilasters;
moulded sills and, between storeys, string courses and 1st-floor band. Rain water
heads bear date 1752. Cornice beneath parapet with ball finials over bays. Bays
1 and 5, treated as end-pavilions, each have rusticated ground floor with round-headed
sash with glazing bars flanked by square-headed niches. 1st-floor band beneath sill
band linking 2-pane sash in corniced architrave and-flanking semi-domed niches all
set within a round-arched recess beneath an open pediment. Pavilions have hipped
roofs that abut taller roof of central range having 2 wooden dormers, ashlar gable
copings and corniced end stacks. Rear: 3 very large 2-pane sashes beneath flat
arches, 6-pane sashes beneath eaves cornice, 3 round-headed dormers.
Left return: large, plain, 2-storey canted-bay projection flanked by lower wings.
Bay has round-headed windows with impost band, square-headed 1st-floor windows
with sill band, cornice, hipped roof. Side wings: rusticated ground floor;
Venetian window on right has blocked side lights. Right return: matching Venetian
window beneath sash with glazing bars in corniced architrave flanked by semi-domed
Interior: excellent decoration in Dining Room by John Carr: enriched 6-panel
mahogany doors in corniced architraves with anthemion friezes; round-headed wall
panels enclosing doors, 2 semi-domed niches, fireplace and window openings; anthemion
dado and impost band; fireplace has iron basket in marble surround with architraved
panel over; plaster vases in flat archivolts with armament panels between; plain
ceiling. Stair hall with Doric-columned front screen, wooden-balustraded staircase,
glazed oval lantern; C20 trompe-d'oeil decorative scheme. Drawing room: fine
decoration in style of Dining Room: marble fireplace, oval ceiling panel with vases,
ribbons and garlands. Former home of the Athorpe family.
H. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, 1978.
Listing NGR: SK5248885686
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings