This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5259 / 53°31'33"N
Longitude: -1.6296 / 1°37'46"W
OS Eastings: 424651
OS Northings: 403316
OS Grid: SE246033
Mapcode National: GBR KW1N.ZS
Mapcode Global: WHCBP.YM5T
Plus Code: 9C5WG9GC+95
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 23 June 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314709
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334075
Location: Penistone, Barnsley, S36
Civil Parish: Penistone
Built-Up Area: Penistone
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Penistone St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
PENISTONE MARKET PLACE
3/45 Church of St. John
23rd June 1965
Church. Masonry in nave, possibly pre-Conquest, arcades C13, chancel c1300,
aisles, clerestorey and tower later C14 or C15. Deeply-coursed, squared
stone, rubble to chancel. Lead roof. West tower, 6-bay nave with 4-bay
north and south aisles and south porch, 2-bay chancel with north and south
single-bay chapels and north-east C19 vestry. Tall Perpendicular,
three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Large west door with two orders
of mouldings enriched with stars and masks. 3-light traceried window
above. Transomed and traceried bell-chamber openings. Gargoyles,
castellated parapets and crocketed pinnacles. Buttressed aisles with three
3-light windows to south and two 2-light windows to north. South porch has
C20 roof. Castellated parapets. Five 3-light square-headed clerestorey
windows, castellated parapets and crocketed pinnacles. The south chancel
chapel is gabled and has a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery.
Pointed chancel door with 2-light window above and a 3-light window with
intersecting tracery. Five-light east window (restored) with intersecting
tracery. North chancel chapel similar to south.
Interior: 6-bay arcades on alternate round and octagonal piers. Good nave
roof, arched-braced to figure-head corbels and with elaborate bosses (c1375).
Octagonal bowl-shaped font on square pedestal. Monuments in chancel, north
side: 1708 shaped marble tablet with scrolled support and scrolled open
pediment and bust flanked by the ox and oak trees of the Bosvile crest; 1714
marble tablet, draped, with gadrooned canopy and flaming urn again with ox
and oak trees of the Bosvile crest, flanked by two putti (one is missing).
South side: mid C18 tablet with scrolled support and putto with coat of arms
at top, to West and Fenton families of Underbrook Hall; other more plain C18
and C19 tablets including one of 1855 " in memory of Wm. Fenton of Underbank
Esq. only son of Samuel and Jessey Fenton who was barberously murdered by
robbers at Algerciras in Spain. April 13th 1855. Aged 35".
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.
Listing NGR: SE2465203317
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings