This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5547 / 53°33'16"N
Longitude: -1.439 / 1°26'20"W
OS Eastings: 437261
OS Northings: 406600
OS Grid: SE372066
Mapcode National: GBR LWDB.8G
Mapcode Global: WHDCQ.VXY8
Entry Name: Gatehouse to Monk Bretton Priory
Listing Date: 6 February 1952
Last Amended: 13 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333688
Location: Barnsley, S71
Electoral Ward/Division: Monk Bretton
Built-Up Area: Barnsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lundwood St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BARNSLEY ABBEY LANE
4/3 Gatehouse to Monk
Bretton Priory (formerly
6.2.52 listed under Remains of
Monk Bretton Priory)
Gatehouse to Monk Bretton Priory remains (q.v.). Early C15 and late C15,
the Almonry to east late C16, incorporating walling of possibly an earlier
gatehouse. Mainly deeply-coursed squared stone, the earlier walling to the
lower parts of east side being smaller rubble. The plan consists of a main
north-south thoroughfare with almonry to east, porter's lodge to west and
square spiral-stair tower to south-west. Two storeys. On the north side is
the central round-arched main entrance with hoodmould and figurehead stops,
and above this is a canopied niche. To 1st floor are three 2-light cusped
double-chamfered square-headed windows and, to each side, a larger pointed-
arched opening. Dripmould at base of deep parapet which retains crenellation
to left. On the south side is a similar archway flanked by buttresses, with
the square tower to its left, with arched entrance. Above the archway is a
square-headed, 2-light, cusped, double-chamfered window.
Interior: a third archway to the entrance lobby. Fireplace on west wall of
porter's lodge and to each floor of south wall of almonry. The west wall of
the almonry is gone.
The monastery of St. Mary Magdalen was founded for the Monks of the Order
of Cluny and was colonised from La Charité-sur-Loire. It became Benedictine
in 1281. After the Dissolution in 1538 the priory passed through various hands
until acquired by Barnsley Borough who, in 1932, placed the ruins in the care
of the state.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Dr. J. W. Walker, The Priory of St. Mary Magdalen,
Yorkshire Archaeological Society, 1926.
Rose Graham and R. Gilyard-Beer, Monk Bretton Priory, Yorkshire,
D. of E. Official Handbook, 1966.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.
Listing NGR: SE3726206596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings