History in Structure

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Middleton, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.2587 / 54°15'31"N

Longitude: -0.8008 / 0°48'2"W

OS Eastings: 478215

OS Northings: 485446

OS Grid: SE782854

Mapcode National: GBR QMV6.F4

Mapcode Global: WHF9W.N7V1

Plus Code: 9C6X755X+FM

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 10 November 1953

Last Amended: 27 August 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315705

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382453

ID on this website: 101315705

Location: St Andrew's Church, Middleton, North Yorkshire, YO18

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Middleton

Built-Up Area: Middleton (Ryedale)

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Middleton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: York

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


SE 7885-7985
(north side, off)
15/35 Church of St Andrew
(formerly listed as
10.11.53 Church of St Mary)

Church. C11 tower with C13 bell stage; early C12 north arcade; late C12
south arcade; C13 aisles, and tower and chancel arches; C15 clerestory and
nave roof; C18 porch; nave restored and chancel largely rebuilt in 1886 by
C Hodgson Fowler. Some re-roofing 1938. Tower coursed rubble sandstone
with long and short quoins; bell stage, nave, aisles and chancel roughly-
squared sandstone; rebuilt parts in tooled sandstone and sandstone ashlar;
porch herringbone-tooled sandstone with hammer-dressed gable end. Lead roof
to nave; slate roof to chancel; stone slate roof to porch. West tower;
3-bay aisled nave and south porch; chancel. Blocked round-arched west
doorway within raised surround, both with imposts. Crown of outer arch
broken by an inserted vesica-shaped diamond-latticed window. 2 similarly
glazed stair lights to south face of tower. Bell stage set back over string
course, with angle lesenes to south and west. Louvred bell openings of
paired pointed lights with centre shaft, recessed beneath chamfered pointed
arches with nook-shafts. On north face the bell opening is a lancet beneath
ogee hoodmould which continues around the tower. Embattled parapet over
corbel table with waterspouts to north and south. Fragments of Anglo-Danish
sculpted stone incorporated in the tower include a cross head and cross
shaft, and a small animal. Restored window of 2 pointed cusped lights in
west end of north aisle. 2-light double-chamfered window, in west end of
south aisle, has reticulated tracery and pointed hoodmould on foliate stops.
Nave: offset buttresses to east of south porch and to each end. Gabled
porch with round-arched entrance and circular sundial above: inscription,
now illegible, is said to have read: "1782, we stay not". C15 door of
traceried panelling in pointed trefoil-arched doorway of 4 orders with one
pair of nook-shafts. Coved hoodmould on carved stops. East of porch a
restored 2-light window. Eaves corbel table and plain parapet. Square-
headed clerestory windows of paired segment-arched lights. Nave north door
similar to south door, of 2 orders with imposts, beneath chamfered
hoodmould. No corbel table to parapet. Chancel: south side rebuilt;
priest's door flanked by 2-light windows with Decorated tracery. Partly-
rebuilt north side incorporates a single blocked lancet in a chamfered
opening at centre, over continuous sill band. East diagonal offset
buttresses and C19 5-light window with curvilinear tracery. Interior:
Pointed tower arch of 2 orders with keeled responds and angle shafts,
moulded capitals. Traces of painted decoration on inner order. North
arcade of 3 round arches on columns with square bases and scalloped
capitals. South arcade of 3 double-chamfered arches on columns on octagonal
bases. Responds and one column have uncarved or crocketed capitals. Second
column from west has a rebated square capital with leaf mouldings in angles
and a carved beast's head to north. Chancel arch similar to the tower arch,
with a squint in a rebated surround in the south respond. North aisle:
stone bench survives: also a fireplace set into east wall, relic from the
time when the aisle was used for a school. South aisle: pointed piscina
with head-stopped hoodmould at east end. Fine C15 nave roof of 7 king-post
trusses. Fittings: C18 pulpit with octagonal inlaid tester. Font with C16
cover, C15 stalls in chancel, one with misericord of a man's head and
shoulders, one with coats of arms on the sides. Monuments: 2 tablets in the
north aisle by Skelton of York: one to Charles Hayes (d1832), the other to
Thomas Hayes (d1838), both of Aislaby Hall. On chancel north wall, a
monument in marble with draped urn, dove and snake to members of the family
of Rev Michael Mackereth, Vicar from 1782-1828. In the north wall of the
sanctuary, a monument by J Flintoft of York to William Wells (d1828).
Graveslab to Anne Grey, wife of William Grey of Aislaby Hall, died
2 December 1715. In north aisle a substantial collection of C10 sculpture:
2 wheelhead crosses and shafts, one with a hunter and animals, the other
with a warrior and weapons, both with interlace; also a cross with a debased
wheelhead and interlace, and other fragments carved with warrior's heads.

Listing NGR: SE7821085447

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.