This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1299 / 54°7'47"N
Longitude: -1.5199 / 1°31'11"W
OS Eastings: 431469
OS Northings: 470552
OS Grid: SE314705
Mapcode National: GBR KNTP.R9
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.MGFB
Entry Name: Bondgate House
Listing Date: 15 September 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330007
Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripon
Built-Up Area: Ripon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3170 RIPON BONDGATE
5/127 (east side)
Late C17 (illustrated on extreme left of south and north Bucks view of Ripon (1745)),
and substantially altered in mid-C19. The timber-framed east wing, which has 2 posts
remaining, and tie-beams morticed for arch braces and king posts, may perhaps be
earlier; and the present street front of the house may be a rebuilding of the western
bay of this wing. This explanation would account for the presence of a very large
fireplace common to main house and wing, which would have been in the centre of the
latter were it extended westwards.
The late C17 part is of roughcast brick with a limestone plinth. Pantiled slate roof,
with deep boxed eaves, and ornamental bargeboards to gables: rear wing has hipped
stone slate roof. Two storeys. Three bays: some C19 casements, otherwise c18 flush-
framed sashes with glazing bars in moulded cases. Door in Tuscan wooden frame with
South elevation has one three-light stone mullioned window, with chamfered mullions
and moulded brick cornice: a fragment of a similar moulded brick cornice remaining to
the door below this window. North elevation has 2 mullioned windows and an opening
into the gable.
Staircase is in the angle between the late C17 part, and as the surviving features
show that it is contemporary with the late C17 part, this also suggests that the wing
is earlier. Externally it had one mullioned window and one round window, both now
internal. The stairs have moulded newels with finials, turned balusters, and lower
rail taking place of a closed string.
Listing NGR: SE3146970552
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings