This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0019 / 54°0'6"N
Longitude: -1.1342 / 1°8'3"W
OS Eastings: 456849
OS Northings: 456557
OS Grid: SE568565
Mapcode National: GBR NQJ5.75
Mapcode Global: WHD9R.KN4X
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 12 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315980
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328614
Location: Skelton, York, YO30
Civil Parish: Skelton
Built-Up Area: Skelton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Skelton
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 55 NE SKELTON THE GREEN
4/80 Church of St Giles
(formerly listed as
Church of All Saints)
Church. c1240 with restorations of 1814-18 by Henry Graham and 1863 by Ewan
Christian. Probably by the masons of the south transept of York Minster.
Magnesian Limestone, Westmorland slate. 2-bay aisled nave and single-bay
aisled chancel with bellcote at junction. West front: nave and aisles divided
by buttresses, with dogtooth string course at sill level which runs round whole
of facade. Central lancet with nook-shafts with annulets and dogtooth
decoration beneath oculus. Aisles: lancets with dogtooth to hoodmoulds.
Low angle buttresses. South porch: exact C19 copy of original pointed doorway
of 4 orders with stiff leaf capitals and dogtooth decoration. South aisle: 2
very narrow lancets flanking a priests' door. North aisle: 3 very narrow
lancets with blocked doorway opposite south porch. East end: triple stepped
lancets with collared shafts and dogtoothdecorated beneath vesica flanked
by buttresses lancets to aisles and angle buttresses. Interior: tall pointed
arcades of 2 chamfered orders on filleted quadripartite piers with similar
chancel arch. The external string course is echoed inside as are the nook-shafts
are of original Purbeck marble. Contemporary font with facetted decoration.
Memorials. Tomlinson Bunting, died 1768. White tablet on grey mount with
shell motif below and orange marble frieze carrying pediment with arms.
Joseph and Sarah Hotham, erected by Sir Richard Hotham in 1791. White shield.
Grey mount with shield to base. This is a particularly fine and complete example
of C13 church building. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: the North Riding, 1966. Wilson,C,
O'Connor D and Thompson M, St Giles Skelton, A Brief Guide, 1978. Christian E
Architectural Illustrations of Skelton Church, Yorkshire, 1846.
Listing NGR: SE5684956555
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings