This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4879 / 54°29'16"N
Longitude: -0.6118 / 0°36'42"W
OS Eastings: 490023
OS Northings: 511168
OS Grid: NZ900111
Mapcode National: GBR SJ5J.BZ
Mapcode Global: WHG9Y.KGVC
Entry Name: 93 and 94, Church Street
Listing Date: 23 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316389
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326633
Location: Whitby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Whitby
Built-Up Area: Whitby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Whitby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
1811 CHURCH STREET
Nos 93 and 94
NZ 9011 2/82 23.2.54.
C18. 3 storeys in brick. Pantile roof. Wood eaves cornice. Rusticated
quoins. 4 windows, flush frames, double-hung sashes with glazing bars,
stone heads. 2 good late C19 shop fronts with fascia on consoles with lions'
masks. 1 3-light window to the left. 2 glazed modern doors under rectangular
fanlights. Banking premises of Jonathan and Joseph Sanders, founded 1779.
Mentioned by Mrs Gaskell in "Sylvia's Lovers".
Nos 84 to 90 (even), Former White Horse Inn, The Black Horse Public House,
Nos 93 to 100 (consec), Nos 105 to 112A (consec) & Nos 114 to 117 (consec)
form a group.
Listing NGR: NZ9002311168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings