This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3207 / 52°19'14"N
Longitude: 1.1501 / 1°9'0"E
OS Eastings: 614779
OS Northings: 273854
OS Grid: TM147738
Mapcode National: GBR TJL.HL1
Mapcode Global: VHL9F.WXBS
Entry Name: 40 and 42, Church Street
Listing Date: 15 June 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468323
Location: Eye, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Eye
Built-Up Area: Eye (Mid Suffolk)
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Eye St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM1473 CHURCH STREET
585-1/7/70 (South side)
15/06/51 Nos.40 AND 42
Formerly known as: The Vinery CHURCH STREET.
House. c1530 front range extended into cross wing at east end
c1580, probably as separate house. Altered C19. Converted to
one house mid C20. Rendered and roughcast timber frame,
plastered and whitewashed to rear. Slate roof (front) and
EXTERIOR: 2-storey facade. 5-window range. Left bay of facade
cants back following line of street and belongs structurally
to the rear wing. Two 6-panelled doors within plain timber
doorcases under floating cornices. Four 3-light mid C19 metal
casements with late C19 hoods on labels. First floor formerly
jettied. 5 first-floor 3-light casements similar to those
below. Gabled roof, hipped to east end to accommodate later
rear wing. External gable-end stacks east and west, that to
east now a ridge stack owing to addition of canted c1580 bay.
East return with doorway, 2-storey canted bay window fitted
with 8/8 unhorned sashes, assorted C19 and C20 casements.
Internal gable-end stack to south. Rear of front block and
added wing both with ground-floor outshuts, to former part
interspersed with C20 conservatory. C19 and C20 casements. 3
gabled dormers in main roof slope, with casements.
INTERIOR: early C16 front range retains early C16 brick to
cellar. Centre ground-floor room with hollow and double
wave-moulded bridging beam. Otherwise chamfered bridging beams
throughout. Stick-baluster staircase with ramped handrail.
Second, similar staircase to west room (former No.40). Rear
wall with a C17 ovolo-mullioned window. Crown post roof
extends complete length of front range: square-section posts
with jowled tops. Formerly with arched braces to crown purlin.
In attic a doorway of re-used early C17 small-framed panelling
hung on cockshead hinges. Rear wing with exposed late C16
studwork of heavy scantling. North room with C20 fireplace
with winder to one side. Room above with chamfered bridging
beam with nicked tongue stops. Roof of clasped purlins and
lower tier of butt purlins.
Listing NGR: TM1477973854
Other nearby listed buildings