This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9758 / 53°58'32"N
Longitude: -2.082 / 2°4'55"W
OS Eastings: 394719
OS Northings: 453304
OS Grid: SD947533
Mapcode National: GBR FQXG.1J
Mapcode Global: WHB76.ZBRF
Entry Name: Boundary Stone at Sd 9472 5330
Listing Date: 31 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316727
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324381
Location: Broughton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Stirton with Thorlby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 95 SW BROUGHTON
Boundary stone at SD 9472 5330
Boundary stone, formerly dividing lands of Thomas, Earl of Thanet and
Stephen Tempest of Broughton Hall (qv), now dividing Stirton with
Thorlby and Broughton parishes. 1698, millstone grit rubble, c75 cm
high. Number five in original series of 41. Inscribed T (Thanet) on
east side and ST (Stephen Tempest) on west side. Removed in June 1721
and re-set "twenty yards and a half" within Thanet's ground "for the
better preserving ... from being worn away by the water". Part of this
stone is in Stirton with Thorlby CP (qv).
Source: Broughton Hall Archives, Box One, bundle 9, Boundary Rolls
Stirton with Thorlby and Broughton, 1698-1757.
Listing NGR: SD9471953304
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings