History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Kildwick, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.912 / 53°54'43"N

Longitude: -1.9791 / 1°58'44"W

OS Eastings: 401468

OS Northings: 446202

OS Grid: SE014462

Mapcode National: GBR GRM6.BD

Mapcode Global: WHB7G.KXSW

Entry Name: The Old Priory

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Last Amended: 10 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316819

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324753

Location: Kildwick, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD20

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Kildwick

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kildwick St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Low Bradley

Listing Text

(east side)

1/25 The Old Priory (formerly
listed as Priests Bank Top
10.9.54 and Priests Bank


Two cottages, now one house. Mid C17, restored 1899, the two buildings
united and restored 1953 by W. Olivant. Coursed gritstone rubble,
graduated stone slate roofs. Quoins. The main building, of 2 storeys and
3 bays (formerly Priests Bank Top), has a C20 recessed entrance bay to
right, linking it to the gable end of the former Priests Bank Cottage, also
of 2 storeys and 3 bays. Main building: central single-storey porch, the
doorway with chamfered quoins reduced to a window C20; bulbous kneelers and
gable coping; a reset stone spout projects above the lintel. Flanking 2-
light chamfered mullion windows, the sills lowered and openings altered
C19. First floor: small 3-light recessed chamfered mullion window of
unusual form; the 3 lights have curved heads, the taller central light
having a lancet form, the hoodmould above is ogee-curved. Below the window
a projecting string terminates above projecting stone spouts. External
stack to left gable. Rear: two 2-light windows, blocked, all possibly
reset; C20 extension to left (not of special interest). Left return:
massive stepped external stack with stone spouts at roof level, the top of
the shaft rebuilt; small chamfered first-floor window at eaves level,
right. Inserted mullion windows to right return. Interior: large arched
fireplace to left gable end with separate voussoirs. Former cottage, south
face: half-glazed C20 door to right of centre in C19 chamfered surround;
flanking 4-light recessed chamfered mullion windows to ground floor;
similar 3-light windows to first floor. Large C19 single-light window to
ground floor, left. Stone gutter brackets; end stack to left, and to right
to rear of ridge. Left return: plaque with raised lettering, "Restored AD
1899 R.H.F.W.W." The site of the house is important, at the junction of
the road from the grange of Bolton Abbey (q.v.) where it divides to lead to
the church (down Priests Bank) or Kildwick Hall (q.q.v). The very extensive
1899 restoration included alterations to the main building's ground-floor
windows (possibly their removal to the first floor of the cottage) and
alterations to the central bay; the stone spouts are similar to those on
the Kildwick Hall pavilion (q.v.) but here do not serve any function (apart
from those on the chimney stack). The dormer window is not a vernacular
feature and was possibly built in imitation of those at Kildwick Hall
(q.v.). The initials are those of Richard Henry Francis Wharton Wilson,
then owner of Kildwick Hall.

Listing NGR: SE0146846202

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.