This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9641 / 53°57'50"N
Longitude: -2.0149 / 2°0'53"W
OS Eastings: 399116
OS Northings: 451998
OS Grid: SD991519
Mapcode National: GBR GQCL.KR
Mapcode Global: WHB78.0MSF
Entry Name: Skipton Castle
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323416
Location: Skipton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Skipton
Built-Up Area: Skipton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 9951 1/1
SD 95 SE 2/1
The unoccupied part contains Norman fragments but is mostly early C14; it was
partly demolished in 1649 and then restored in mid C17 by the Countess of Pembroke.
Entrance flanked by massive round towers, leading to Conduit Court with centre
well and 2 and 3 storeyed buildings around it, external staircase, buttresses,
rainwater-heads of 1659 with lead pipes and heraldic ties. Clifford arms and
Bromflete arms over doorways. Kitchen of C14, scullery, carving rooms etc. C13
watch tower. Banqueting hall on 1st floor, muniment tower, wine cellars etc.
All massive, limestone.
The occupied part comprises the long east range of the Castle, containing the
Long Gallery etc, built 1535, restored 1659. Large polygonal tower on east end
has an ogee-headed window of C15. 2 symmetrical polygonal bay windows of 2 storeys.
All windows with stone mullions and transoms, with round and trefoiled lights.
Tudor doorway. Fireplaces. Dungeons. Rainwater-head dated 1686.
See Whitaker's History of Craven.
Listing NGR: SD9911651998
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings