This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.805 / 51°48'17"N
Longitude: 1.1564 / 1°9'23"E
OS Eastings: 617708
OS Northings: 216529
OS Grid: TM177165
Mapcode National: GBR TQS.Z1D
Mapcode Global: VHLCZ.0W6N
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 4 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317259
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119884
Location: Tendring, Essex, CO15
Electoral Ward/Division: St Marys
Built-Up Area: Clacton-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Clacton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
The following building :-
TM 1716 CLACTON-ON-SEA ST JOHN'S ROAD
13/24 Church of St John
shall be upgraded to Grade I.
CLACTON-ON-SEA ST. JOHN'S ROAD
Church of St. John the
Parish church. C12 Nave and Chancel. C15 West Tower. Alterations to Chancel
C14. Organ Chamber and restorations C19 and C20, some by Hakewill circa 1865.
Septaria and mixed rubble. Dressings of limestone, Roman and C20 brick. Red
plain tiled roofs. The 3 bays of the Nave are divided by wide pilaster
buttresses which suggest that the roof was formerly vaulted. To each bay is a
large restored round headed window, with stone bands under, recessed C12 north
and south doorways are below the centre windows, both partly restored with round
arches of 3 orders, the 2 outer roll moulded, the inner enclosing a brick
tympanum with plain lintel. Jambs each have 2 detached shafts with moulded
bases and cushion capitals, plain to south doorway, diaper and twisted inner
shafts to north doorway, restored brickwork between shafts. Restored diapering
to recess head. South double vertically boarded doors with ornate hinges,
diagonal boarding to north door. Chancel east wall with C19 round headed lights
either side of-the central buttress, band and similar window over, roundel to
gable, all with patterned heads. Cross finial to apex. 3 windows to south
wall, those to east of 2 lights with moulded 2 centred arches. Buttress
between. The splays and internal shafts probably C12. The C15 western
cinquefoiled window is set low in the wall. C19 north organ chamber with
lean-to roof, round headed door and window to west wall, round-headed 2 light
window to east wall. West tower of 3 stages, the 2 lower stages C15 with angle
buttresses, and moulded plinth, C19 weatherboarded upper stage with balusters.
Octagonal spire with fish-scale tiles. North-eastern stair turret with loop
lights. Timber segmental headed sounding louvres to all faces of belfry. West
window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery over, 2 centre arched head,
moulded label over. Above this window and to north and south faces are partly
restored narrow trefoiled lights with labels over. West doorway, moulded jambs,
2 centred arch, moulded label over. Interior much restored. Nave and Chancel
roofs of 7 cants. To west end of Nave are 2 tie beams supporting the arched
braced timber frame of a former belfry. This must date prior to the existing
C15 tower. Chancel windows with mainly restored shafts and moulded decoration.
C19 stained glass. Sedile, dropped cill to southeast window, with a Piscina
through the north and west walls of the east splay, each side with a pointed
head, octofoil drain. C19 carved panelling to reredos. C19 carved and moulded
altar rail. 2 bay arcade of round headed arches to north wall organ chamber.
C19 red brick quoins to round headed chancel arch, C19 triforium over of red
brick with stone shafts. The Nave windows with deep round headed splays. C19
round headed red brick arches over north and south doorways. C19 carved and
panelled pulpit. C19/C20 memorial to west wall, Eldazar Knox, second son of
John Knox 1558-1591, sometime Vicar of this parish. C15 octagonal font
remodelled 1954, panelled sides of bowl with seated figures and 2 angels holding
shields. Two centred moulded and chamfered tower arch, the attached shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TM1770816529
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings