History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sowden House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lympstone, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.6452 / 50°38'42"N

Longitude: -3.4224 / 3°25'20"W

OS Eastings: 299528

OS Northings: 83794

OS Grid: SX995837

Mapcode National: GBR P3.S59G

Mapcode Global: FRA 37QC.GJ8

Entry Name: Sowden House

Listing Date: 18 November 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317305

English Heritage Legacy ID: 88543

Location: Lympstone, East Devon, Devon, EX8

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Lympstone

Built-Up Area: Lympstone

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Lympstone Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


3/43 Sowden House
- II

Detached house. Circa 1700, remodelled and extensively refenestrated probably circa
1819 when Captain Thomas Williams retired here from the Royal Navy. Roughcast cob,
stone footings; hipped bitumen-coated slate roof. A 2-room, through-passage house,
with rear kitchen wing. Both main rooms heated by external rear lateral stacks,
that to the left-hand room engulfed by the possibly slightly later kitchen wing.
This latter stack stands adjacent to the site of the former newel stair; the present
C19 stairs are situated in the central through passage. Rear wing with external
end stack. C19 rear extensions. 2 storeys.
Front: slightly asymmetrical 3-window range; main rooms lit by tripartite 4:12:4
pane hornless sashes; round-headed 12-pane hornless sash window above porch light
stair landing; porch with moulded cornice on square-section wooden columns;
pilasters; door surround with small cyma-recta moulding; canted reveals; half-
glazed door. 3 late-C19 or early C20 2-light gabled full dormers. Left-hand side
elevation : 12-pane hornless sash window to first floor; two 3-light casement
windows to ground floor. Lighting a small room built behind the main range rear
stack is a 2-light casement window of circa 1700, with 24 leaded panes per light, 2
decorated catches and 1 stanchion. No windows to right hand end of main range.
Rear: lunette to stair hall; rear wing with casement windows and one 4:12:4 pane
tripartite hornless sash window to first floor.
Interior: main rooms with boxed ceiling beams; chamfered lintel to left-hand room
fireplace; this stack also served a fireplace facing the rear wing, with a side
oven, all now blocked, although a bolection moulded surround survives; this room
entered by 2 early fielded panel doors. 1 rough ceiling cross beam to wing. C19
dog-leg staircase with ramped rail and stick balusters. Other early-C19 joinery and
Roof: 4 clean trusses come well down into wall; crossed, halved and pegged at
apex; halved and pegged collars; trenched purlins.

Listing NGR: SX9952883794

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.