History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Harsnetts

A Grade II Listed Building in Chigwell, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6246 / 51°37'28"N

Longitude: 0.0813 / 0°4'52"E

OS Eastings: 544164

OS Northings: 193802

OS Grid: TQ441938

Mapcode National: GBR P3.74Y

Mapcode Global: VHHMZ.CF9G

Plus Code: 9F32J3FJ+RG

Entry Name: Harsnetts

Listing Date: 28 June 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118562

Location: Chigwell, Epping Forest, Essex, IG7

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Chigwell

Built-Up Area: Chigwell

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Find accommodation in
Chigwell

Description

TQ 49 SW CHIGWELL HIGH ROAD,
4/18 EAST SIDE
28.6.54 Harsnetts

GV II


Lobby-entrance house, c.1600, extended in C18 and C19. Timber framed, mainly
roughcast rendered with some weatherboarding, roofed with handmade red clay
tiles. 4 bays aligned approx. NE-SW, aspect NW, with axial chimney stack in
third bay from NE end, forming a lobby-entrance. External chimney stack at
NE end. Short extension to NE, C18, enclosing stack, and longer extension to
SW, C18. Single-storey extension beyond, C19. Original stair wing to rear
of main stack. Long rear extension, C19, and single-storey flat-roofed
extension in S angle, C20. 2 storeys. 2 6-panel flush doors in simple
doorcases, rectangular lights over with cast iron geometrical tracery, shallow
hoods, c.1800. 2-storey canted bay of 3 double-hung sash windows of 12 lights,
with pyramidal roof, c.1800, with some crown glass. 4 C20 reproductions of
C17 mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights; one plain boarded door
in C19 extension. First floor, windows as ground floor, with 2 additional
casement windows of the same type above doors. At rear, 3 C18 windows on first
floor, each with one wrought iron casement, all leaded. Axial beams above
ground floor rooms, boxed in. Jowled posts, front wallplate visible, plain-
chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, edge-halved and bridled scarf. Original
newel stair with bobbin-turned balusters at the top. The building was bought
by Archbishop Harsnett in 1627 from John Penington, probably as a house for
the master of the English School. The former occupier was Alexander Stowell,
a glover. The name liarsnetts was given to it in error when it became a boarding
house for srzall boys, in the mistaken belief that it had been the house of the
founder of the School (Stott, 19, 20, 26, 111). RCHM 8.


Listing NGR: TQ4416493802

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.