History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Helen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Folksworth, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4991 / 52°29'56"N

Longitude: -0.3126 / 0°18'45"W

OS Eastings: 514644

OS Northings: 290356

OS Grid: TL146903

Mapcode National: GBR GZ7.CRN

Mapcode Global: VHGL1.JGL2

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Helen

Listing Date: 13 December 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317442

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54900

Location: Folksworth and Washingley, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Folksworth and Washingley

Built-Up Area: Folksworth

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Folkesworth St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Stilton

Listing Text

FOLKSWORTH AND WASHINGLEY MORBORNE ROAD
TL 19 SW
(West Side)
4/92 Parish Church of
13.12.57 St Helen
II*
Parish church. Chancel and nave c.1150, south transept c.1300 and C16 porch.
Chancel rebuilt by Robert Pupplett, rector 1702-1706; rebuilt in Neo-Norman
style with north vestry in 1850, north nave wall rebuilt and bell-cote added
to west gable. Walls of roughly coursed rubble limestone with dressings of
Barnack stone. C20 plain tiled roofs. South elevation: Nave doorway with
four-centred head and moulded label; C14 two trefoiled-ogee-light window to
west with a square head, moulded label and head stops. (North doorway c.1150
with an outer round arch enclosing a diaper patterned tympanum; jambs with
continuous moulded abaci forming imposts and detached shafts with scalloped
capitals and moulded bases). South porch with four-centred outer archway of
two continuous chamfered orders and large resited gargoyle. South transept
c.1300 window of three graduated trefoiled lights in a two-centred head.
Chancel, three similar single-light windows with rounded heads. Interior:
Chancel arch, semi-circular of two moulded orders with chevron ornament;
responds each with two detached shafts with capitals carved with scrolls or
scallops, with a human face, and festoons with a face; hollow chamfered abaci
continuous along wall. Piscina in south transept with chamfered jambs and
two-centred head, sexfoiled drain c.1300. Font, c.1500 octagonal bowl on
octagonal stem with square base. C13 coffin lid with scrolled crosses.

VCH Huntingdonshire p173
RCHM Huntingdonshire p97
Pevsner Buildings of England p247


Listing NGR: TL1464490356

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.