This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5985 / 50°35'54"N
Longitude: -3.604 / 3°36'14"W
OS Eastings: 286572
OS Northings: 78872
OS Grid: SX865788
Mapcode National: GBR QR.1PQJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 37BH.9R3
Entry Name: Remains of Bishops Palace at Palace Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317585
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85335
Location: Chudleigh, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Chudleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chudleigh St Martin and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CHUDLEIGH ROCK ROAD, Chudleigh
SX 87 NE
4/78 Remains of Bishops Palace at
Remains of Bishop's Palace. Medieval. Local grey limestone rubble, partly roofed
over with corrugated iron on trusses with a 1950's date.
The scheduled site suggests extensive remains below ground. The most substantial
remains above ground consist of a partly 2-storey block incorporating walling which
continues as the west boundary wall of the garden in front of Palace Farm. The plan
of this block includes, at ground floor level, 2 vaults, 1 with a rounded and 1 with
a pointed arch. At the north end these vaults are completed by a section of wall
(probably at one time external) with a well-finished plinth that rises at the west
end. The wall has a blocked, deeply-splayed arched window and the remnants of a
stone newel stair. To the north of this wall and parallel to it, a second section
of wall extends as re garden boundary wall, and contains several deeply splayed slit
windows, mostly blocked.
The relationship between the surviving remains above ground and what may be below
ground remains conjectural.
The Bishop of Exeter had selected a site in Chudleigh for a rural palace as early as
1080 and the "See's ownership is confirmed some hundred years later in an undated
charter of Bishop Bartholomew (1165 -1184)" (Crockett). In 1550 Bishop Veysey was
obliged to alienate the properties and rights pertaining to Chudleigh which were
dispersed into secular ownership. The building above ground is clearly part of a
site of major historical and archaeological interest.
Listing NGR: SX8657278872
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings