This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2937 / 50°17'37"N
Longitude: -3.6557 / 3°39'20"W
OS Eastings: 282162
OS Northings: 45061
OS Grid: SX821450
Mapcode National: GBR QP.8VYN
Mapcode Global: FRA 3878.1NG
Entry Name: Tower of Collegiate Chantry of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317950
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99900
Location: Slapton, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
Civil Parish: Slapton
Built-Up Area: Slapton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Slapton St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX8245 Tower of Collegiate
11/115 Chantry of St Mary
West tower of collegiate chantry church. Circa 1372 or 3. Dressed and
coursed slate rubble. Tall square tower about 80ft high in 3 stages with
stringcourses, diagonal buttresses with set-offs at the corners and a
polygonal stair turret on the south west corner with a corbel table and a
very small stone spire. The main tower also has corbels but the parapet
above is missing. Lancets at the ringing stage and slightly larger pointed
arch openings to the bell stage above. The large west window below has
been converted into an archway and blocked later. The tall arch on the east
side to the former nave has a dressed stone 2-centred arch and weathering
above where the nave roof joined. The stair turret has small window slits.
All the dressed and moulded stone from the windows has been removed but
inside the moulded rib springing of the vault to the first stage survives.
The roof is missing.
Historical note: In 1373 Sir Guy de Brian, standard-bearer to Edward III
at the Battle of Crecy and lord of the manor, founded a collegiate chantry
here with an endowment of 6 priests, 1 rector, 5 fellows and 4 clerks.
After the foundation of the college the tithes of the parish church were
appropriated to the chantry one of whose priests was appointed Minister to
the church. The last rector of the chantry was Nicholas Morton. At the
Dissolution the chantries revenues were granted to Thomas Arundel. It
remained in the possession of the Arundels until the C17 when it passed to
the Page family. Now all that survives above ground is the west tower of
the chantry church. There might be some early fabric in the adjacent house
known as The Chantry qv.
Sources: B F Cresswell, Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of Woodleigh,
1923, W G Hoskins, Devon.
Listing NGR: SX8216345061
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings