History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Zeals House

A Grade I Listed Building in Zeals, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0861 / 51°5'10"N

Longitude: -2.2921 / 2°17'31"W

OS Eastings: 379634

OS Northings: 131908

OS Grid: ST796319

Mapcode National: GBR 0V2.WWF

Mapcode Global: FRA 6627.YNB

Plus Code: 9C3V3PP5+F4

Entry Name: Zeals House

Listing Date: 9 September 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318497

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321290

Location: Zeals, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Zeals

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Upper Stour

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in


ST 73 SE
(east side)
6/184 Zeals House
Country house. Late C14, C17, C18 and 1860s, the latter for
William Chafyn-Grove. Limestone rubble stone, Welsh slate roofs,
stone stacks with moulded cappings. Rambling L-plan, the earliest
range consisting of 2-storey hall and solar range to north east of
C17 and C19 additions. Two-storey and attic, 8-window east front.
Central recessed bay with 1860s porch with Tudor-arched double
doors and Chafyn-Grove arms over, 5-light mullioned window and
battlemented parapet, 3-light ovolo-mullioned and transomed window
to left, C14 range projecting to right has two C19 three-light
ovolo-mullioned and transomed windows with hoodmoulds to ground and
first floors, gabled solar wing and stair turret to right have 2-
light and 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, glazed door to
present kitchen. C17 range to left of porch has 3-light and 4-
light mullioned and transomed casements to ground and first floors,
two attic gables with 3-light ovolo-mullioned casements, coped
verges with ball finials, attached to left of this is 1869 addition
with external stack, first floor oriel and C17 style mullioned and
transomed casements. 1869 left return has pair of gabled bays
with mullioned casements and 5-light mullioned and transomed
casement between with Chafyn-Grove arms over. Right return is
north gable-end of C14 and C17 parallel ranges; diagonal buttress
to left, C19 porches and mullioned and transomed casements, C17
ovolo-mullioned casements to attics. Rear left has chamfered and
ovolo-mullioned casements, parapet to roof, single-storey attached
tack-room, C17 range projecting to right has mullioned casements to
basement, ground and first floors, some C19 restored, 2-storey bay
remodelled as tower with battlemented parapet in 1860s, 1869 south
wing has cross windows.
Interior: entrance hall in C17 range with C19 full panelling and
stairs to rear with turned balusters, first floor drawing room on
west side has shallow barrel-vaulted ceiling and C18 full fielded
panelling and overmantel, former servants hall below, reset C17
full wainscotting in bedroom over entrance hall. North west
range, possibly late Medieval and remodelled in C17 and C18 has
Tudor-arched ground floor doorway with ledged door, first floor
room with early C18 moulded plaster ceiling cornice. C14 range to
north east; dining room with white marble fireplace with Ionic
columns, C18 joinery, billiard room over with full fielded
panelling and marble corner fireplace, very good 8-bay roof in
attics to former first floor open hall: arch-braced cranked collar
trusses with cyma-moulded soffits and two tiers of windbracing with
cusped decoration. North east solar wing has first floor room
with full panelling, marble fireplace with overmantel, good doors,
attic has formerly plastered barrel-vaulted ceiling, 3-bay roof
with hollow-chamfered collar trusses. Early C18 stairs in north
east turret with 3 turned balusters per tread, wreathed handrail,
panelled dado and good plaster ceiling with moulded cornice and
Chafyn-Grove arms in centre panel. 1869 drawing room with C17
style fittings including panelling with frieze, stairs to attic C17
style with serpentine splat balusters. 1869 service accommodation
in separate wing to west; chamfered mullioned casements and round-
arched opposing doorways with keystones, below a gabled clocktower
with keyed clockface. Matthew de Clevedon acquired a house here
in 1372 and apparently rebuilt it; the roof of a former first
floor open hall probably dates from this time. The Chafyn family,
subseqently the Chafyn-Groves acquired the property during C15 and
their descendants remained here till mid C20.
(Mere, A Wiltshire Country Town, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST7963431908

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.