History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ellerton Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Ellerton Abbey, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.3719 / 54°22'18"N

Longitude: -1.8791 / 1°52'44"W

OS Eastings: 407952

OS Northings: 497385

OS Grid: SE079973

Mapcode National: GBR HK9W.ZK

Mapcode Global: WHC6J.3CGR

Entry Name: Ellerton Priory

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Last Amended: 21 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318619

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321951

Location: Ellerton Abbey, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Ellerton Abbey

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Downholme and Marske St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SE 09 NE
(north side off)
17/14 Ellerton Priory (Formerly
listed as Ellerton Abbey
- II
Priory church. C15 and perhaps earlier. Rubble with quoins. Narrow, aisle-less
nave and choir, with west tower. North and east walls of nave and choir partially
standing, to a height of approximately 1 metre on north, rising to 3 metres at
east end. South wall missing except for west jamb of south door. West tower
arch of 3 storeys, with stepped diagonal buttresses, stair turret on south side,
plain tower arch to east. West side has 2-light window under hood-mould to first
storey; mullioned and transomed window with C19 traceried head to third storey.
Interior: on ground on north side of nave to east of centre next to wall 2 pieces
of an elaborate grave slab, tapering in plan, probably of 1250-1300. It has,
in relief, cross with interlaced diamond head and trefoil terminals, flanking
leaf scrolls and marginal chamfer with running leaf band. To south, another
tapering medieval grave stone, base broken off, has cross with diamond head with
fleur-de-lys terminals. A small house of Cistercian nuns, founded in the
reign of Henry II by Warner, steward of the Earls of Richmond. Scheduled as an
Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: SE0795297385

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.