This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0944 / 51°5'39"N
Longitude: -2.0443 / 2°2'39"W
OS Eastings: 396990
OS Northings: 132791
OS Grid: ST969327
Mapcode National: GBR 2Y1.CY6
Mapcode Global: FRA 66L7.CCK
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret of Antioch
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320298
Location: Chilmark, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Chilmark
Built-Up Area: Chilmark
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Chilmark St Margaret of Antioch
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 93 SE CHILMARK BARBERRY
1/72 Church of St. Margaret
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C18, restored 1856 by
T.H. Wyatt. Limestone ashlar and dressed stones, tiled roof with
stone slates to eaves. Plan: cruciform church with north aisle,
south porch and north-east vestry, broach spire. Gabled rubble
stone south porch has double-chamfered pointed doorway, coped
verges. Nave to left has two 2-light square-headed C14 windows
with ogee cusping, one to right of porch. South transept has
diagonal buttresses, late C13 three-light pointed window of 3
lancet lights to south, single C14 window to east, coped verges
with grotesque beasts on kneelers. Chancel has pointed priest's
door and three C19 lancets to south side, corbel table with carved
animals and faces, east end has angle buttresses. East end has 3-
light pointed window with hoodmould with carved head terminals.
1844 vestry has cusped lancets and a shouldered chamfered doorway.
1856 polygonal stair turret in angle between chancel and north
transept; cusped lancets and a trefoil. North aisle of 1856 has
4 geometric-style windows, reset west doorway of c1200 has round-
arch with roll moulding on cushion capitals. West window is C19
four-light geometric-style with hoodmould and carved head
terminals. Crossing tower has early C14 two-light pointed windows
to offset bellstage, parapet and broach spire, rebuilt c1770 with
string courses and moulded capping.
Interior: Perpendicular inner door with hollow-chamfer and
hoodmould with busts, C14 niche over. Nave has 5-bay roof with
braced collar trusses on foliated corbels, flagstone floors.
Four-bay north aisle has double-chamfered pointed arches on
alternate cylindrical and octagonal piers, collar-rafter roof.
Crossing has quadripartite rib vault with triple-chamfered arches
on square chamfered piers. Transepts have 2-bay braced collar
truss roofs. South transept has ogee piscina. Chancel has
collar-rafter roof, north wall has three C13 lancets, now within
vestry, 2 to left have roll-moulded sill, plain hollow-chamfered
piscina on south wall. C13 font bowl reset on C19 base, in nave.
Good C17 carved wooden pulpit at crossing. Wall tablets include a
white marble in chancel to Thomas Harris, died 1825, large
limestone and slate tablet on south wall of nave with ball finials
on arched architrave and cornice over, to members of Jesse family
from 1656 to 1702. Stained glass includes good east window glass
of 1843, 2 windows by Heaton and Butler of 1860s; in north aisle
to Ellen Tower and south transept to Mary King, and good unsigned
glass of 1891 to Rev. Charles Tower. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings
of England; Wiltshire, 1975; Church Guide of 1975; Kell 's
Directory, Wiltshire, 1867.)
Listing NGR: ST9699032791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings