This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0412 / 51°2'28"N
Longitude: -2.1551 / 2°9'18"W
OS Eastings: 389222
OS Northings: 126877
OS Grid: ST892268
Mapcode National: GBR 1X5.MZ0
Mapcode Global: FRA 66CC.J72
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 6 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320974
Location: Sedgehill and Semley, Wiltshire, SP7
Civil Parish: Sedgehill and Semley
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Semley St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SEMLEY SEMLEY VILLAGE
ST 82 NE (south side)
3/184 Church of St. Leonard
Anglican parish church. 1866-76 rebuilding by T.H. Wyatt, on site
of Medieval church. Limestone ashlar, tiled roof. Plan: west
tower, nave and south aisle, chancel and south chapel, north porch.
Decorated style. Gabled porch has diagonal buttresses, moulded
pointed opening with attached shafts with foliated capitals,
quatrefoils to sides, coped verges. Nave has 3-light window to
right, two 2-light to left; with geometric tracery, buttresses with
offsets. Chancel has 2-light, 3-light and single geometric
windows, quatrefoil frieze, 3-light geometric east window has
hoodmould with foliated terminals, diagonal buttresses, south side
has single-light window to right. South chapel has 3-light east
windows with hoodmould, angle buttresses, attached vestry has
hipped roof with 2-light gablet and porch with pointed chamfered
doorway. South aisle has four 2-light Perpendicular-style windows,
buttresses, 3-light west window to aisle, set-back buttresses.
Five-stage tower has set-back buttresses carried up to gablets at
bell stage, string courses, west doorway has moulded pointed
opening with attached shafts and aedicule, 4-light geometric window
over, gilded clock face to 3rd stage on west and north, single
light to south side, bell stage has 2-light louvred windows to all
sides, quatrefoil frieze to battlemented parapet with gargoyles.
Octagonal stair turret attached to north east corner with roll-
moulded pointed doorway and chamfered loopholes to projecting porch
to stairs on north side of tower, conical turret roof has gablets
with ogee lancets.
Interior: Porch has scissor rafter roof, stone benches, moulded
pointed inner doorway with double door. Nave has good 4-bay
hammer-beam roof with curved windbracing and exposed rafters,
plastered walls and polychrome tiled floor. Four-bay south aisle
arcade has piers with foliated capitals and moulded pointed arches,
arch-braced collar-truss aisle roof with collar trusses to half-
bays, organ in west bay. Stair turret projects into west end of
nave on corbel, tall pointed tower arch. Chancel arch on short
marble corbel shafts with foliated decoration, chancel has ashlar
walls and pointed barrel-vaulted ceiling with panelling, Biblical
inscriptions to frieze in gothic script, rere-arches to windows.
South chapel separated from chancel by pointed door and arch with
wrought iron gates and screens, panelled wagon roof, pointed
doorway to vestry. Fittings: C19 pews, C12 stone cylindrical font
at west end, fine C18 brass candelabra in chancel. Stained glass
in north west nave window by F.C. Eden, 1897, south aisle by W.C.
Taylor, 1882, good unsigned east window possibly by Lavers and
Barraud. Large stone recumbent figure, probably of a bishop in
nave, possibly C13, wall tablets include marble to Rev Ralph Ord
died 1855 and signed Osmund of Sarum. Rebuilding paid for by
Marchioness of Westminster of Fonthill.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST8922226877
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings