This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3229 / 54°19'22"N
Longitude: -2.7451 / 2°44'42"W
OS Eastings: 351635
OS Northings: 492181
OS Grid: SD516921
Mapcode National: GBR 9L8G.H3
Mapcode Global: WH82W.TL0V
Plus Code: 9C6V87F3+5X
Entry Name: 9 and 11, Church Walk
Listing Date: 14 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75361
Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9
Civil Parish: Kendal
Built-Up Area: Kendal
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kendal Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 5192 SE KENDAL CHURCH WALK
11/19 Nos 9 & 11
Old Grammar School, now 2 houses. No 11 is linked to Lakeland Life and Industry
Museum (in Abbot Hall Stable Block) by 1st floor walkway. School founded 1525
and closed 1888. Present site granted 1588; built by public subscription.
Subdivided and remodelled 1891 by J.F. Curwen. Coursed rubble with quoins.
Graduated slate roof, hipped to east end. Corniced stone chimney to west end
and large stone cross-ridge mid chimney with 7 cylindrical stacks. 2 storeys, 6
bays overall. South elevation: No 9 has full-height gabled wing added with
decorative barge-boards and crocketed finial; cylindrical stone chimney to
eaves. Door to no 9 in west return; plank door to no 11 under canopy carried on
pierced wooden brackets (left bracket dated 1592, and right 1891). C19 wooden
mullioned and transomed, diamond-leaded, windows inserted in older (larger)
openings, some under timber lintels. North elevation has some (C18?) sashes,
with wide glazing bars, inserted in earlier openings. Straight joint shows that
eastern bay was added. A massive stop-chamfered beam survives internally.
Forms part of churchyard group.
Listing NGR: SD5163992182
Other nearby listed buildings