History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos 39, 43, 45, 45a and Entrance to Yard 41

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kendal, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3283 / 54°19'41"N

Longitude: -2.7456 / 2°44'44"W

OS Eastings: 351606

OS Northings: 492776

OS Grid: SD516927

Mapcode National: GBR 9L8D.C6

Mapcode Global: WH82W.SGRR

Entry Name: Nos 39, 43, 45, 45a and Entrance to Yard 41

Listing Date: 14 April 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318997

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75461

Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kendal

Built-Up Area: Kendal

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kendal St George

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Burneside

Listing Text

SD 5192 NE
8/119
14-4-69
KENDAL

MARKET PLACE
(BRANTHWAITE BROW,
West side)

Nos 39, 43, 45, 45A,
& entrance to Yard 41

G.V.
II*

Shops, on sloping site. Dated 1853 over Yard entry. Built by owner, Joseph
Winder (a local iron-founder, Lound foundry) on site of properties demolished
1851 when road widened, Unique construction of large, cast-iron, panels
fastened back to timber frame; south return stone, with hammer-dressed
pilaster. Graduated slate roof; stone mid chimney. 3 storeys, 6 bays overall.
Horizontal cast-iron panels, decorated with plain saltire crosses, slotted
between 5 grooved uprights; 4 of uprights terminate in original cast-iron
gutter brackets. Individual lengths of panel appear to be flanged or tongue-and-
grooved for jointing. Some of ground-floor panels are vertical with Gothic
decoration (ogee arcading carried between colonettes). Uprights around doors
are decorated with lions' heads. No 39: Part-glazed door to left in shop front;
Yard entry, with C20 wrought-iron gate, on left. 2 windows to each floor above,
with upright between; brackets (for sign?) to 1st floor right. No 43: C20 door
with glazing bars to right of upright, shop front to left; 2 windows to each
floor above. No 45: Part-glazed door with oval fanlight to right of shop front,
C20 part-glazed door and square fanlight to no 45A on left; 2 windows to each
floor above. All shop fronts re-glazed in original corniced wooden surrounds
with fluted pilasters; trellis-work cast-iron cellar grilles. All upper windows
original cast-iron casements (some minor alterations).


Listing NGR: SD5160692776

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.