This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5779 / 54°34'40"N
Longitude: -2.4914 / 2°29'29"W
OS Eastings: 368332
OS Northings: 520406
OS Grid: NY683204
Mapcode National: GBR CH1H.DR
Mapcode Global: WH92Z.P6TC
Entry Name: The Cloisters
Listing Date: 6 June 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319048
English Heritage Legacy ID: 73616
Location: Appleby-in-Westmorland, Eden, Cumbria, CA16
Civil Parish: Appleby-in-Westmorland
Built-Up Area: Appleby-in-Westmorland
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Appleby St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 6820 APPLEBY IN WESTMORLAND C.P. BOROUGHGATE
1/44 The Cloisters
1811 by R. Smirke, built as a visual termination of the lower end of the main
street. Arcade of seven pointed arches in ashlar, the centre three arches being
open and giving access to the churchyard by a rear gate. Over the arcade is a
battlemented parapet. The centre portion is stepped up and has the Appleby arms
and date 1811 in a quatrefoil panel. At each end of the arcade is a square
two-storey tower with machicolated parapet, square-headed door and window in
lower storey, and lancets above with hood-moulds, and lancets above with hood-moulds.
Right hand tower (east) is a shop, No. 1 Boroughgate.
Listing NGR: NY6833120404
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings