This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5241 / 51°31'26"N
Longitude: -0.7252 / 0°43'30"W
OS Eastings: 488538
OS Northings: 181346
OS Grid: SU885813
Mapcode National: GBR D6J.HG8
Mapcode Global: VHDWK.CYZH
Entry Name: Main Building and Two Side Wings of Berkshire College of Art
Listing Date: 29 September 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319353
English Heritage Legacy ID: 40753
Location: Windsor and Maidenhead, SL6
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Electoral Ward/Division: Belmont
Built-Up Area: Maidenhead
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Maidenhead St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
5130 MARLOW ROAD
SU 8881 SE 29.9.80 Main building and two
4/41 side wings of
Berkshire College of
1895 by E J Shrewsbury, built as a Technical School. Red brick with terra cotta
dressings. Welsh slate roofs. Symmetrical composition in Flemish Renaissance style.
Main block of two storeys and basement, 4:3:4 windows. Taller projecting central
three-bay section surmounted by raised attic with scrolled flanks and decorative
pediment. Round-arched entrance in projecting porch with carved balcony over, having
central pedimented name panel. Eaves cornices and window detailing in terra cotta.
Fancy glazed sash windows. Tall conjoined chimney shafts. One storey side wings have
shaped gables with ball finials over lesenes.
The modern extension to the south wing is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: SU8853881346
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings