History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jesus Hospital, Including Chaplain's House, the Almshouses and the Chapel

A Grade I Listed Building in Bray, Windsor and Maidenhead

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.506 / 51°30'21"N

Longitude: -0.7018 / 0°42'6"W

OS Eastings: 490194

OS Northings: 179367

OS Grid: SU901793

Mapcode National: GBR D6R.HCR

Mapcode Global: VHDWR.SDBT

Plus Code: 9C3XG74X+C7

Entry Name: Jesus Hospital, Including Chaplain's House, the Almshouses and the Chapel

Listing Date: 25 March 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319439

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41102

Location: Bray, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL6

County: Windsor and Maidenhead

Civil Parish: Bray

Built-Up Area: Maidenhead

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Bray with Braywood

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in


SU 9079
(west side)
25.3.55 Jesus Hospital, including
Chaplain's House, the Almshouses and
the Chapel

Almshouses (formerly 40 now 16), Chaplain's house and Chapel. Dated 1627, altered C20. Founded by
William Goddard, and under the care of the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers. Brick, in English
bond, with stone dressings. Large quadrangular plan with chapel in the centre of the west side and
Chaplain's house to the left of the main entrance-way through, which has a meeting room over. One
storey, Chaplain's house is 2 storeys. Almshouses: all one storey. North and south sides of the
quadrangle are identical. Each 5 bays. Chimneys are placed diagonally on plan having 6 chimneys
with coupled shafts on large rectangular bases, and clay pots on each side. Stone window openings
with chamfered mullions; metal casements with diamond panes, of 2-lights. Central, gabled dormer
to each dwelling with two, 2-light windows, lighting a vestibule below which has plank door and a
4-centred stone entrance archway. Chapel: coped gable to quadrangle with a large window of 5,
trefoiled lights with vertical traceried head. Below this is a plank entrance dooorway under a 4-
centred arch within a square head. There is a bellcote on the ridge. Road (entrance) front:
symmetrical. Centre gable contains the entrance with a 4-centred head under a square containing
moulding and label. Above this the former Chaplain's rooms, now meeting room, with a window on
either side of a segmental-headed niche which contains a figure of William Goddard; above this is
a 2-light window, lighting an attic, now disused. Below the niche is a stone tablet with the date
1627 and an inscription. On either side of the tablet and below the windows are 2 stones, one with
the arms of the Fishmongers' Company, the other with those of Goddard. Against the north wall of
the open entrance passage is an iron-bound alms post, above which is a tablet inscribed 'Hee that
giveth to the poor lendeth to the Lord", surmounted by the date 1638. On either side of the gable
is a one-bay section of one and a half storeys; the upper level is faced with tiling; each level
has a 2-light window. A chimney abuts the gabled section on each side. On each side of these are
one-storey almshouses with four 2-light windows and 2 chimneys. Chapel interior: 4-bay nave and
chancel separated by a fine Jacobean screen. The central opening is round-headed with spandrels
carved with scrolls within a square architrave. The upper part is divided on either side into 4,
small, round-headed openings carried on flat balusters with shaped brackets, carrying a moulded
cornice. The west window to the Chancel is of 5 trefoiled lights with elaborate tracery under a
pointed head; on either side is a window of 3-cinquefoiled lights with tracery under a 4-centred
head. The roof is of 4-framed bays of queen post trusses with moulded caps and bases to the posts;
double purlins with moulded, arch-braced collars with quatrefoils in the spandrels,
The famous painting in the Tate Gallery, called the Harbour of Refuge, by Frederick Walker, ARA,
depicts the Quadrangle, centre sundial, and front of Chapel.
V.C.H., Vol.III, p.93 (with illustrations), B.O.E. (Berkshire), p.101.

Listing NGR: SU9024779395

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.