History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Ufton Nervet, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4031 / 51°24'11"N

Longitude: -1.089 / 1°5'20"W

OS Eastings: 463466

OS Northings: 167514

OS Grid: SU634675

Mapcode National: GBR B4R.TSB

Mapcode Global: VHCZH.2ZNR

Plus Code: 9C3WCW36+6C

Entry Name: Church of St. Peter

Listing Date: 14 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319598

English Heritage Legacy ID: 40052

Location: Ufton Nervet, West Berkshire, RG7

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Ufton Nervet

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Sulhamstead Abbots and Bannister with Ufton Nervet

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Englefield

Listing Text

UFTON NERVET UFTON NERVET
SU 66 NW
3/11 Church Of St. Peter
14.4.67 II
G.V.
Church. 1861-2, by Richard Armstrong in a C14 neo-Gothic style. Snecked
rock-faced rag stone with ashlar dressings, patterned tile roofs with ridge
cresting, and shingled spire. Nave, north aisle, chancel, north chapel, south
porch, and west tower with spire. Plinth, diagonal buttresses, and parapeted
gable ends. Tower: 3 stages. First floor string, and broach spire with 2
tiers of 2-light lucarnes with colonnettes, and cross at apex.2-light cusped
and louvred bell chamber opening on all faces, clock on second stage to west
with colonnettes supporting trefoiled gabled wooden canopy, small rectangular
window to north, and cusped lancet in first stage to west with hoodmould and
carved stops. Newel turret rising to second stage at south-east corner with
lean-to stone roof, small rectangular windows, and caernarvon arched boarded
doorway to west. Clock inscribed: IN MEMORY OF HCS. Nave: 3 bays. Cusped
lancet to left with hoodmould and carved stops and 3-light window to right
with cusped tracery, hoodmould, and carved stops. Central south doorway with
chamfered arch and boarded door. Gabled south porch with shafts, foliated
capitals, chamfered arch, hoodmould with carved stops, and small rectangular
windows on east and west sides. Chancel: south side: 2 bays. 2-light window
to left with cusped tracery and hoodmould with carved stops, and cusped lancet
to right with hoodmould and carved stops. East end: 3-light window with cusped
geometrical tracery, hoodmould and carved stops. North Chapel: octagonal stack
to west arcaded top. East end: square headed window with 2 cusped ogee lights
and hoodmould with carved stops, and small rectangular opening in gable end above.
North side: square headed window with 2 cusped ogee lights and hoodmould with
carved stops to left, 2 windows of 2 cusped lights and cusped lancet
to right. West end: large triangular window with curved sides, tracery
consisting of 3 foiled circles, and hoodmould with carved stops. Interior:
3 bay north aisle arcade with circular piers, foliated capitals, and chamfered
arches; single framed nave roof. Moulded chancel arch with shafts, foliated
capitals, and hoodmould with carved stops; chamfered tower arch with window
above consisting of 3 circular lights, and quadripartite rib vaulted vestry
beneath tower. Chancel with waggon roof and chamfered organ arch to north with
continuous dripmould. Fittings include: C19 octagonal wooden pulpit on stone
base with linenfold panelling and ballflower ornament; C19 eagle lecter; probably
C12 tub font; C19 octagonal stone font with shafted base and trefoiled panels on
alternate faces; 2 hatchments on north wall of nave; 2bequest boards on west wall;
C19 nine-bay vestry screen. Stained glass by Clutterbuck of 1862 and Lavers and
Barraud. Monuments include: Richard Perkins of 1560, now partly destroyed, consisting
of 2 fluted Corinthian columns supporting carved frieze and dentil cornice (the rest of
this monument is now in the neighbouring Old Rectory garden); Francis Perkyns of
1615-16 and wife Anna of 1635, consisting of 2 recumbant stone effigies on tomb chest
with kneeling figures, now within a C19 arched recess. Brass in vestry to William
Smith 1627 and wife Costantia of 1610. V.C.H. (Berks), Vol.3, pp.443-4; B.O.E.
(Berks) p.246.


Listing NGR: SU6346667514

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.