This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6554 / 53°39'19"N
Longitude: -0.5989 / 0°35'55"W
OS Eastings: 492696
OS Northings: 418568
OS Grid: SE926185
Mapcode National: GBR SV85.4C
Mapcode Global: WHGG0.SD01
Entry Name: Number 6 and Folly Adjoining to Left
Listing Date: 17 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319663
English Heritage Legacy ID: 442399
Location: Winterton, North Lincolnshire, DN15
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Winterton
Built-Up Area: Winterton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Winterton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SE 9218-9318 WINTERTON HIGH STREET
9/50 No 6 and Folly adjoining
House with former coach house and outhouse now incorporated in house, and
Gothick folly containing outhouse. 1828, with earlier origins, by William
Fowler of Winterton; early C20 alterations and first floor addition to left.
House: coursed limestone rubble with brick dressings to ground floor, brick
to first floor and stacks; original house section to right stuccoed. Slate
roof. Folly: coursed limestone rubble and brick with re-used medieval
ashlar dressings. Gothick style. House is in 3 sections: a) 2-storey, 3-
bay symmetrical front to original house on right with b) single-bay former
coach house section and c) single-storey with attic single-bay section set
back to left. Section to right: plinth; central projecting enclosed porch
with C20 part-glazed door in chamfered surround with hoodmould, moulded
cornice and flat hood. 2-light casements with chamfered surrounds, cills
and hoodmoulds, boldly-moulded first floor band, smaller similar first floor
windows, large painted carved bust above entrance. Chamfered eaves cornice,
deep eaves. Former coach house to left:4-light ground-floor window with
rubbed brick keyed flat arch and brick cill inserted in former entrance; 3-
course dentilled brick first floor band, c.1970 first floor casement in
original opening. Lower section to left: brick quoins; 6-panelled door in
chamfered Tudor-arched architrave, single-light window to left in chamfered
surround with hoodmould and carved stops; 2-light dormer with sashes.
Hipped roof to 2-storey section with 2 axial stacks; pitched roof to lower
section with end stack. Adjoining folly: single storey, 2 windows. Central
entrance with pointed chamfered ashlar arch on plain moulded imposts is
flanked by chamfered single-light ashlar windows, that to left glazed and
with pointed arch below a section of brick walling, that to right set in
broken wall and without top section. Section of buttress to right with
niche containing fragments of statuary. Brick outhouse inside the structure
to left. Interior of house: moulded ceiling cornice to drawing room ground
floor left. William Fowler, 1761-1832, the architect, builder and
accomplished engraver, lived here for the last years of his life.
J.T. Fowler, The Correspondence of William Fowler, 1907.
Listing NGR: SE9269818567
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings