This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0152 / 52°0'54"N
Longitude: -1.6193 / 1°37'9"W
OS Eastings: 426222
OS Northings: 235262
OS Grid: SP262352
Mapcode National: GBR 5QC.RD9
Mapcode Global: VHBYT.WM90
Entry Name: Little Wolford Manor House and Attached Bakehouse and Gateway
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Last Amended: 9 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319952
English Heritage Legacy ID: 306009
Location: Little Wolford, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36
Civil Parish: Little Wolford
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Wolford St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
2/75 Little Wolford Manor House and
22/09/52 attached bakehouse and gateway
(Formerly listed as Little
Wolford Manor and Glyde Well)
Manor house. Late C15 or early C16, with C16, C17 and c20 alterations and
additions. Coursed limestone rubble with some ashlar to earliest range.
Chamfered plinth and quoins. Stone-slate roof with stone ridge, lateral and end
stacks, Formerly a U-shaped plan but south wing demolished early C19 and house
is now L-shaped. 2-storey, 9-window range. C15 north range of hall and parlour
with former service rooms to west. To left, leading into the screens passage, a
C15 elliptical-headed doorway with hollow-chamfered surround within a square
head with hood mould and labels. C15 part-restored door of 8 traceried panels
with moulded muntins and middle rail. Gabled porch with datestone inscribed
"IHA/1671" with the carved arms of Ingram below. Elliptical-headed doorway with
double ovolo-moulded surround, To both floors left of porch a single
elliptical-headed hollow-chamfered light. To right of porch a mullioned window
of 4 elliptical-headed lights and king mullion. Mullioned window with 3
elliptical-headed lights further to right. Both windows have hood moulds and
labels. To first floor one 3-light and two 2-light mullioned windows (one in
gabled half dormer) with elliptical-headed lights. To right a half-octagonal
stair-turret with moulded string course and 2 elliptical-headed lights,
irregularly disposed. First-floor doorway which originally led into demolished
south wing is part-blocked with a 2-light window. C19 wall to right in place of
former wing has early C20 mullioned windows. Further mullioned windows with
elliptical-headed lights to east gable end and to rear. Also to east gable end a
C15 elliptical-headed doorway with moulded surround. Sundial to first floor. To
rear a lateral stack projection with gabled head. North entrance to screens
passage has elliptical head and C16 linen-fold panelled door. Also to rear a
late C17 two-storey gabled range with mullioned windows. C16 west wing is
possibly of 2 periods, the range to left the later. To right a timber-framed
jetty with close studding with rail and moulded bressumer, and jettied gable.
Both jetties have 5-light oriel windows with moulded mullions and transoms. C17
canted bay with elliptical-headed lights to ground floor right. Rear of C16
range has two 3-light mullioned windows, that to first floor with wider central
light. Also to rear a rounded projection with a moulded square-headed light, and
a further hollow-chamfered light above. To west an early C20 two-storey stone
gabled range with one C15 two-light window with traceried head set above
doorway. Attached to south of C16 range by a C20 two-storey infill a C17 former
bakehouse and cottage of 2 storeys with mullioned windows with hollow-chamfered
surrounds. 4-centred doorway to right, Large lateral stack and bread oven
projection to rear. Attached to south of cottage a wall and restored stone
gateway with moulded surround and original fringes, Renewed semi-circular head.
Interior: C15 timber screen with heavily moulded plinth and bressumer, and
moulded muntins and middle rail. Arched-head doorway with carved spandrels. In
north wall of hall 2 large stone fireplace with 4-centred head and moulded
surround, C17 carved overmantel, with carved arms of the Ingram family. C17
panelling, C15 two-light wood window to west imported from Bideford in Devon,
early C20. In south windows stained heraldic glass, one piece dated 1557. Stone
flagged floors. Cl9 timber roof. To south, the stair turret doorway is
elliptical-headed with hollow moulded surround. Original plank door with moulded
muntins and rails. Stone newel staircase rising to first floor. In. parlour to
east is a C16 fireplace with stucco overmantel, imported from Bideford. In
dining room, the former service room, is a large spine beam and heavy joists,
repainted early C20. Large open fireplace with chamfered timber bressumer in
C16 wing are chsmfered cross beams with stepped stops. In first floor over
former service room is a part-exposed queen-post roof. Also in this room is C18
panelling. In a first floor room over C16 range a stone fireplace with 4-centred
head and hollow-moulded surround. Original C16 panelling up to dado rail.
History: Little Wolford Manor was the seat of the Ingrams from C16 to C18. It
later became the Manor Farm until it was bought and restored by Sir Robert
Hilton, early C20.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp+2l3-215; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
pp.341-342; Country Life XLVII (April 1920), pp.476-482; Cescinsky and Gribble,
Early English Furniture and Woodwork, Vol.I, pp.212-214).
Listing NGR: SP2622235262
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings