This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3141 / 51°18'50"N
Longitude: -1.8547 / 1°51'16"W
OS Eastings: 410224
OS Northings: 157225
OS Grid: SU102572
Mapcode National: GBR 3WX.KXC
Mapcode Global: VHB4Q.S7WH
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311117
Location: Wilsford, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Wilsford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
WILSFORD THE STREET
SU 15 NW (north side)
2/167 Church of St. Nicholas
Anglican parish church. C13 and C15, restored 1864 and 1960.
Limestone ashlar with slate roofs. Chancel rendered flint and
malmstone. Nave and south porch, chancel, and west tower. Nave
has 3-light C15 windows between buttresses. Gabled porch,
reconstructed in 1864. South door with casement moulding, early
C15, and moulded cornice over. Corresponding north door blocked.
East end of north wall has blocked arch to former chapel,
demolished 1959, and includes reset C13 doorway. Chancel C13, low,
with south priest's door and lancets, triple at the east end. West
tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses, much repaired c1960.
Three-light west window with niche over, and pierced transennae to
two-light bell stage. Quatrefoil frieze at base offset, fleur-de-
lys frieze below crenellated parapet. Stair in south-east corner,
with sundial high on south face. Gargoyles.
Interior: Nave has 4-bay open trusses roof of 1864 on carved
corbels. Tall hollow-moulded tower arch and lower but wider
chancel arch. Chancel has low C15 roof with moulded principals and
purlins, and deep moulded wall plates. Blocked squint to former
chapel and arched piscina with clover-leaf sinking. A splendid
example of a modest medieval chancel that rarely escaped C19
restoration. Fittings: Font, under tower arch, deep octagonal
drum on short pedestal. Pulpit and sanctuary rail, C19.
Monuments: In chancel; five wall tablets. South side: White
marble oval on black oval, urn over. To Elizabeth Chandler, died
1794. North side, from east: (a) White marble tablet with urn
over against grey pyramid. To Elizabeth Layland, died 1810. (b)
Identical, to Thomas Chandler, died 1797. (c) Marble scroll
against slate, by Salmon of Devizes. To John Hayward, died 1869.
(d) White marble against slate, to Henry Horton, died 1975. In
nave, 3 tablets on north side, from east: (e) White marble tablet
with cornice, by Osmund of Sarum. To George Benson, died 1819.
(f) Gabled tablet on gabled slate backing, by R. Davis of Bath.
To Harry Hayward, died 1855. (g) White tablet against grey. To
John Hayward, died 1824 and family. Furniture: Small C17 chest
(Church Guide, 1980; Pevsner, Buildings of England - Wiltshire.)
Listing NGR: SU1022457225
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings