History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Sherington, Milton Keynes

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.11 / 52°6'35"N

Longitude: -0.6997 / 0°41'58"W

OS Eastings: 489144

OS Northings: 246538

OS Grid: SP891465

Mapcode National: GBR CZD.PWZ

Mapcode Global: VHDSV.T7G9

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 3 March 1952

Last Amended: 27 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320205

English Heritage Legacy ID: 351079

Location: Sherington, Milton Keynes, MK16

County: Milton Keynes

Civil Parish: Sherington

Built-Up Area: Sherington

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Sherington with Chicheley, North Crawley, Astwood and Hardmead

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Sherington

Listing Text

SP 89 46
SHERINGTON

11/171
3.3.52

SCHOOL LANE

No 16 (The Old Rectory)
(formerly listed as The Rectory)

II

House, formerly the Rectory, Dated 1607. Coursed rubblestone. Old
tile roof. 2 storeys and attic, built on an H-plan. South front has
3 window wide centre and projecting gabled wings flanking. Right
gable has 2-light stone mullioned casements, all C20 replacements
with voussoir heads and keyblocks below drip moulds. Attic window
timber casement. Left hand gable has 2-light 1st floor and 4 light
ground floor similar stone framed windows. Centre has C17 sytle
colonnade with pierced balustrade to first floor balcony. Centre
door flanked by 2-light stone mullioned windows, 3 windows to first
floor, moulded and bracketed. Painted cornice and 2-light light
dormers flanking gabled belcote in roof. North front also has
projecting gabled flanking wings. Centre has 1607 2-light ovolo
mullioned leaded 1st floor window, others sashes. 4 pane to ground
floor, 5 pane to 1st floor on left hand gabled wing. Coped gables
and kneelers throughout. Datestone on south west angle quoin
inscribed 'Tertio Aprilis I.M. 1607' Interior has some C17
fireplaces with stone jambs and oak lintels. C18 staircase with
turned balusters and moulded handrail. Some reused C17 panelling
RCHM II 261MON 5


Listing NGR: SP8914446538

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.