This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1498 / 52°8'59"N
Longitude: -0.7584 / 0°45'30"W
OS Eastings: 485051
OS Northings: 250897
OS Grid: SP850508
Mapcode National: GBR CYY.137
Mapcode Global: VHDSM.S7Y9
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320219
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351041
Location: Ravenstone, Milton Keynes, MK46
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Ravenstone
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Ravenstone
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 85 50 RAVENS TONE NORTHEND
17.11.66 Church of All Saints.
Parish church. C11 nave, late C12 nave south arcade, mid C13 west tower
south aisle widened C14, chancel C14, clerestory C15, nave north wall
rebuilt and south or Finch Memorial Chapel added c 1670. Coursed rubblestone
with lead roofs. Chancel of 2 bays with south chapel, 3 bay nave and west
tower. Intersecting tracery east window, south east chapel has hollow
chamfered mullioned and transomed 3-light windows with hood moulds.
Clerestory has 3 C15 2-light windows with quatrefoils. South aisle right
hand window C17 2-light, C15 jambs, late C17 doorway has eared architraved
doorcase with cornice, timber sundial over. C15 2-light window to left,
2-light west window. North wall of nave has 3 buttresses, one dated 1670.
Northdoor C14, reused, but C17 doorcase inside. 3 stage west tower with C17
west door and 2-light belfry windows. Interior Arches of 2 chamfered orders
into chapel and nave from chancel. South nave arcade of 3 bays, 2 east bays
c1200. One square order. Cylindrical east column with capital having shallow
leaf ornament springing from interlaced arcading. C14 west bay south aisle
roof C15 with moulded principals supported on south side by curved braces,
springing from embattled and moulded wood corbels. Intermediate principals
and purlins are chamfered and stopped. Chapel roof C17 with moulded main
timbers. Piscina and 2-bay sedilia in south aisle, C14, chancel and chapel
C17 black and white marble floors, C13 font tapering circular bowl with
shallow trefoil headed arcading, C17 wood font cover. In 1670 Sir Henage
Finch refitted the church and these furnishings remain. Wainscot panelling
in chancel and nave, north and south doorcases eared architraves and
cornices, panelled doors, pulpit is hexagonal on pointed ogee base, moulded
side panels and large flat sounding board, late C17 reredos in south chapel
with commandment panels and above middle panel broken pediment and flaming
urn of wood, communion table has twisted legs, communion rails has gates
in middle and twisted balusters. Screens into south chapel have double doors,
twisted balusters in upper half and moulded cornices, in tower arch close
panel screen with panelled doors. Monument in chapel to Sir Henage Finch,
1st Earl of Nottingham, 1621-1682, lord Chancellor. Altar with inscription
slabs on sides, arms on ends, Corinthian columns at corners support
entablature with panelled soffit, marble curtains, marble reclining effigy.
Curved broken pediments.
RCHM TI 251 MON1
Listing NGR: SP8505650894
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings