This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1144 / 52°6'51"N
Longitude: -0.8287 / 0°49'43"W
OS Eastings: 480303
OS Northings: 246880
OS Grid: SP803468
Mapcode National: GBR CZ7.F9Z
Mapcode Global: VHDSS.L38X
Entry Name: Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 3 August 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320224
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351181
Location: Hanslope, Milton Keynes, MK19
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Hanslope
Built-Up Area: Hanslope
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hanslope
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 84 NW HANSLOPE HIGH STREET
(south west side)
4/10001 Methodist Chapel
Weslyan chapel and school room. Dated 1828; schoolroom added
in later C19 and with C20 extension. Flemish bond red brick.
Welsh slate gable-ended roof with brick dentil eaves.
PLAN: single cell with entrance under gallery at the
liturgical west (north-east) end and schoolroom added in the
late C19 at east (south-west) end, and C20 outshut added to
end of schoolroom.
EXTERIOR: one storey. Symmetrical north-east end with
pedimental gable with brick dentils, plaque in tympanum
inscribed ¨Weslyan Chapel 1828" and 2 large round-headed
windows with glazing bars and margin panes; central
round-headed doorway with semicircular fanlight with radiating
and concentric glazing bars and 8-panel double doors. On side
elevations three 12-pane sash windows with margin panes.
Similar windows in later C19 schoolroom to south-west. C20
brick outshut with concrete tile lean-to roof.
INTERIOR: simple interior with coved ceiling. Gallery at west
(north-east) end with panelled front supported on thin
columns. Panelled dado at east (south-west) end and moulded -
round-headed niche in south-west wall. Late C19 rostrum and
HISTORY: the original Weslyan chapel is said to have been
converted from a shop on this site by a Mr. Panter, inkeeper
of The Cock, No.22 High Street (qv) and re-built in 1828.
Listing NGR: SP8030346880
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings