This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2051 / 52°12'18"N
Longitude: 0.1156 / 0°6'56"E
OS Eastings: 544665
OS Northings: 258427
OS Grid: TL446584
Mapcode National: GBR L79.L30
Mapcode Global: VHHK2.YTGY
Entry Name: Clare College, the Buildings Surrounding the Fore and Principal Courts
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47108
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Edward King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Ely
The Buildings surrounding
the Fore and Principal Courts
TL 4458 SE 6/249 26.4.50.
Built of Ketton and Weldon stone ashlar with Collyweston stone slate and
lead roofs between 1638 and 1715, being delayed by the Civil War. They
are, however, a remarkably unified and fine example of the Early Renaissance
style. East Range and Main Gateway 1638-41 with alterations in 1891. Many
C17 and C18 internal features. South Range 1640-42. Many C17 internal
features. North Range with Hall and Library 1683-93. By Robert Grumbold.
The interior of the Hall altered 1870-72 by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt. Library
woodwork by James Essex 1729. West Range 1640-1715. Master's Lodge re-modelled
in 1815. Many features of the late C17 and early C18 remain. Chapel 1763-69.
Designed by Sir James Burrough and James Essex. (All described in the
Listing NGR: TL4466558427
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings