This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3228 / 53°19'21"N
Longitude: -3.1036 / 3°6'13"W
OS Eastings: 326583
OS Northings: 381215
OS Grid: SJ265812
Mapcode National: GBR 6ZR0.VL
Mapcode Global: WH76F.9RB2
Plus Code: 9C5R8VFW+4G
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 15 November 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320306
English Heritage Legacy ID: 215648
Location: Wirral, CH60
Electoral Ward/Division: Heswall
Built-Up Area: Heswall
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Heswall St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 28 SW
VILLAGE ROAD (west side)
Church of St. Peter
Church. Tower C14, bell stage late C15; rest of church, 1879, south chapel 1893. By J.F. Doyle. Stone with slate roof. Nave with aisles, south-west tower, chancel, north vestry and south chapel.
Tower has diagonal west buttresses, three-light west window has reticulated tracery; bell stage has sill course and three-light louvred bell openings with Perpendicular tracery; cornice, and panelled embattled parapet; square south-east stair turret. Five-bay aisles have three-light windows with Geometrical tracery, most of three lights, south gabled porch to west end and entrance to east end, one four-light window, north aisle has one two-light window. West end of nave has five-light window and round stack. Clerestory has single lights, paired to east bay. Chancel has five-light window. South chapel ornate Perpendicular style, sill course, cornice with carvings of animals, embattled parapet and crocketed pinnacles; panelled gabled buttresses; east four-light and south three-light windows; south sundial. Gable vestry and organ loft with east extension under lean-to roof, eastern windows are straight headed, gabled bay has triple trefoil-headed lights and rose window.
Interior: Nave has arcades with octagonal piers to north and round piers to south, eastern bay has wall shafts; arch-braced roof. Tower arch to end of south aisle has octagonal responds; wall tablet to John Glegg (died 1619) inscribed with kneeling figure; Katherine Glegg (died 1666) armorial panel under open pediment. Font, 1879, round bowl on clustered shafts, acanthus ornament. West end of nave has Royal arms, 1811, C18 baluster font, and commandment boards. Chancel arch on corbelled shafts, low iron railing and round-ended pulpit. Two-bay chancel arcade with stone parclose screen, waggon roof, recessed sedilia; north arch to organ loft. Reredos by C.E. Kempe, 1890. South chapel has wrought iron screen. Much stained glass by Kempe, e.g. east, south-east, south-west and tower windows.
Listing NGR: SJ2658381215
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings