This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.206 / 52°12'21"N
Longitude: 0.1171 / 0°7'1"E
OS Eastings: 544763
OS Northings: 258534
OS Grid: TL447585
Mapcode National: GBR L79.LFM
Mapcode Global: VHHK2.ZT87
Plus Code: 9F426448+CR
Entry Name: Gonville and Caius College, the Buildings Surrounding Gonville Court and Caius Court Including the Hall, Chapel, Master's Lodge and Gate of Virtue, but Excluding the Gate of Honour
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320425
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47146
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mary the Great with St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Ely
GONVILLE AND CAIUS COLLEGE
The Buildings surrounding
Gonville Court and Caius Court,
including the Hall, Chapel,
Master's Lodge and Gate of
Virtue; but excluding the
Gate of Honour.
TL 4458 NE 3/261
TL 4458 SE 6/261 26.4.50.
Gonville Court Freestone ashlar with slate and tile roofs.
North Range 1753-5, by James Burrough. Many C18 interior features. 'D'
staircase is of 1853.
West Range 1441. Contains the Old Hall which was re-modelled by Soane
in 1792. Exterior of range re-faced by James Burrough in 1753. Combination
Room re-modelled by James Essex in 1728 and. given a cupola. New Hall and
Library added by A Salvin in 1853, he also altered the interior of the
old range. Interior features from all periods.
The Master's Lodge The nucleus remains of 1441, although altered by Dr
Caius in 1565. West wing added in 1795 by William Wilkins Senior of Norwich;
further extended in 1853 by A Salvin. Altered internally by A Waterhouse
in 1869 and by E Warren in 1912. Internal features of varying dates including
stained glass roundels of C16 or Cl7.
The Chapel 1393. Clunch and brick, refaced in ashlar in C18. Stone slate
roof. Altered and extended in 1575, 1637, 1726 and by A Waterhouse in
1870. Ceiling of 1637. Mosaics by Salviati of Venice in East apse. Very
fine monument to Dr John Caius 1573-5, by Theodore Havens of Cleves. Stalls
East Range circa 1490, refaced in 1753 but almost entirely re-built by
A Waterhouse 1868-70. Fine Cl8 South room.
East Range This includes the Gate of Virtue dated 1567, a very early and
important example of the use of correct Classical detailing. Built to
the design of Dr Caius. The rest of the range consists of chambers, many
with good C18 panelling and other features.
West Range 1565. Chambers, again with much panelling from the Cl7 and
C18 and other interior features of interest. (All buildings fully described
Listing NGR: TL4476358534
Other nearby listed buildings