History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chew Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chew Magna, Bath and North East Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3665 / 51°21'59"N

Longitude: -2.6081 / 2°36'29"W

OS Eastings: 357764

OS Northings: 163220

OS Grid: ST577632

Mapcode National: GBR JQ.T0PR

Mapcode Global: VH890.RX2B

Entry Name: Chew Court

Listing Date: 21 September 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320739

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32915

Location: Chew Magna, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Chew Magna

Built-Up Area: Chew Magna

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Chew Magna

Listing Text


3/21 Chew Court
G.V. II*

House, said to have been one of the country residences of the Bishops of Bath and
Wells. C14/C15 origin with many later alterations and additions of C17, early
C18 and substantial C19 and C20 alterations. Sandstone rubble with limestone
dressings, plain tiled roof with ridge and gable stacks. L-plan formed by 2 wings,
north range and east range with gatehouse to south east. South front of
2 storeys and 6 bays; 2 bays to left under gable end with raised coped verges and
kneelers have at ground floor two 6-light mullion and transom windows, ovolo-
moulded with hood mould and relieving arch of C19, two 3-light windows at first
floor with 4-centred arched heads, hood mould and relieving arch, lancet above;
to right C20 door in ovolo-moulded surround with hood mould and 2 similar 6-light
windows, single light above door with cusped trefoil head and shield inset below,
3 similar 3-light windows under eaves; to right, in angle of L-plan, single
storey porch of late C17/early C18, with pilasters on pedestals, frieze with
strapwork, keystone and cornice, 4-centred arched door with shields in spandrels.
East wing (to right) has at ground floor two 3-light casements with ovolo
mullions and C20 leaded lights, blocked central window, first floor has three
3-light windows as on south front, carved head as corbel under eaves to left,
probably reset. Gatehouse attached to right, open at ground floor has 4-centred
arch of 2 chamfered orders, small lancet to each side, two 3-light casements with
ovolo mullions at first floor; right return of gatehouse has small single light
at first floor and stone rainwater chute. Rear of gatehouse (formerly front
entry) has 4-centred arch with roll-mouldings, shields and trefoils in spandrels,
heavy moulded outer surround and hood mould with shield stops; 2 similar 2-light
casements at first floor, half-octagonal angle turret to each side with small
single light at first floor, cornice across whole front, parapet and coping,
embattled turrets; ground floor open interior has 3-bay ceiling with heavy roll
and hollow moulded tie-beams, common rafters, C19 Gothic stone fireplace with
dentil cornice and carved frieze. Gable end of east wing (to right) has ground
floor 2-light ogee-headed stone window with shields on lintel and C19 hood mould,
2-light C19 window at first floor and attic level as on front. Left return of
north wing has C20 glazed door to right and round headed single light under eaves;
attached to left (formerly west range), rubble wall extending about 17 metres to
west and 15 metres to south, about 2½ metres high, with coping, with moulded
4-centred arched door opening with trefoils in spandrels. Rear of north wing has
gable end to left and right, 4 bays, to left at ground floor 3-light casement with
ovolo mullions, hood mould and relieving arch, 3-light casement at first floor and
lancet above, bay to right end similar without lancet; centre bays have at ground
floor two 6-light casements with ovolo mullions and central 2-light ogee-headed
window with shields and hood mould, two 3-light casements under eaves, all of C19.
Rear of east wing of 5 bays, ground floor has four 2-light casements with ovolo
mullions, hood mould and relieving arch, first floor has 5 C19 3-light casements
as on front, central gable with 2-light trefoil-headed window, raised coped verges
and stack. Interior: much remodelled in C18, C19 and C20; 2 ground floor rooms
in north wing have stone bolection-moulded fireplaces with mantels on acanthus
brackets; east wing has heavy deep chamfered beams, framed ceiling in 6 panels;
roof of gatehouse of 4 bays, principal rafters, arched-braces, cambered collars,
one row of purlins with chamfered windbraces in lower tier, ridge purlin, moulded
wall-plate and shields as corbels; stone newel stair. Room over gatehouse said
to have been used as court-room, turrets used for holding prisoners.
(Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol.
1958. Robinson, W.J. : West Country Manors. 1930. Cooke, R. : West Country
Houses. 1957).

Listing NGR: ST5774263217

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.