This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3072 / 51°18'25"N
Longitude: -2.5036 / 2°30'12"W
OS Eastings: 364992
OS Northings: 156575
OS Grid: ST649565
Mapcode National: GBR JV.XWFM
Mapcode Global: VH89G.KD9R
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 21 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32855
Location: Paulton, Bath and North East Somerset, BS39
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Paulton
Built-Up Area: Paulton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
PAULTON C.P. CHURCH STREET (south side)
ST 65 NW
1/3 Church of the Holy Trinity
Anglican Parish Church. Dated 1757 and 1839, the latter by John Pinch.
Ashlar, freestone dressings, slate roof. West tower, nave, north and south
aisles, north porch, chancel, south chapel, north organ chamber. Square tower of
3 stages with set-back buttresses and full-height circular stair turret, first
stage has plinth, tudor-arch west door with heavy moulding and a good plank door
below a small ogee-headed window, (strings between stages also appear between
buttresses), second stage has quatrefoil to west, at third stage the buttresses
peter out with crocketted finials, each side has a 2-light pointed window below a
hoodmould with quatrefoil pierced tracery, then ogee quatrefoils, that to west
with date (clockwise 1757 seems most likely),then ogee frieze as corbel table
below quatrefoil pierced parapet with obelisk corner finials, tower stands at west
end of north aisle of church of 1831. Gabled nave has 3-light pointed, cusped
west window, buttressed aisles have 4 similar 2-light windows, one over south door
under label, one absent at site of gabled north porch with moulded, pointed arch
below date scroll, diagonal buttressed, gabled chancel has 3-light, pointed east
window as elsewhere, similar 2-lights to north and south gabled chapels.
Interior. 4-bay Perpendicular arcade, shafts on very thin piers, very rich,
small chancel with mock hammer beams with angels, nave roof of arch-braced queen
post construction with tracery spandrels. Fittings: octagonal font of C16?,
stone pulpit, perpendicular details as in local tradition, complete set of pews
with poppy heads. Monument: at west end of south aisle is a C14 chivalic figure
under hood with head stops. (Source: N. Pevsner : Buildings of England : North
Somerset and Bristol : ig58).
Listing NGR: ST6499256575
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings