This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3282 / 51°19'41"N
Longitude: -2.5431 / 2°32'35"W
OS Eastings: 362258
OS Northings: 158927
OS Grid: ST622589
Mapcode National: GBR JS.WK12
Mapcode Global: VH897.VWY5
Plus Code: 9C3V8FH4+7Q
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine
Listing Date: 21 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320766
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32751
Location: Clutton, Bath and North East Somerset, BS39
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Clutton
Built-Up Area: Clutton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 65 NW CLUTTON CHURCH LANE (west side)
6/15 Church of St. Augustine
Parish church. Late C12, C15 west tower rebuilt 1728, remainder rebuilt 1865 by
John Norton. Squared and coursed sandstone with freestone dressings to tower.
Sandstone laid in alternate bands of red and grey to bell stage. Rock-faced
pennant sandstone in irregular courses with freestone dressings, quoins and
copings to remainder. Slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west
tower, south porch. Fenestration to main body of church excluding tower is crude
neo-Early English of 2 and 3-lights with plate tracery and quatrefoils or rosettes
in the apex. East window is further decorated with nook shafts and stiff-leaf
capitals. Bracketted eaves cornice. Tower of 3 stages with south east corner
stair turret. Diagonal buttresses ending at 2nd stage string course in crocketted
pinnacles. Moulded string courses, embattled parapets with corner crocketted
pinnacles. West facade has round-arched doorway with keyed classical surround
and studded plank C19 door. Above this a tall 3-light window under straight head
with round-headed lights. 2nd stage has rebuilding date plaque below 2-light
window similar to that below. 2-light round-headed bell openings with dense
quatrefoil piercing. Other faces are blank but set against south wall of tower
is a late C18 railed tomb enclosure with urn finials and gate. Gabled C19 south
porch with Transitional style round-headed doorway with roll moulding, nook shafts
and stiff-leaf capitals to match C12 south door of similar detail with 3 orders of
roll moulding. Interior. Nave has C19 four bay arcades with various leaf and
flower capitals. Double chamfer tower arch, original Transitional chancel arch
with diagonal fret and stiff-leaf capitals with outer order of roll moulding.
Open rafter roofs in nave and aisles. Chancel has aumbry recess on north wall,
barrel roof. Fittings. Nave has C19 stone pulpit with trefoil arcading and
sgraffito saints; octagonal Perpendicular font with quatrefoil panels in south
aisle, recut in C19. (Pevsner, Buildings of England; J. Collinson, History of
Listing NGR: ST6225858927
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings