This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5346 / 51°32'4"N
Longitude: -2.3538 / 2°21'13"W
OS Eastings: 375557
OS Northings: 181803
OS Grid: ST755818
Mapcode National: GBR 0NK.RQS
Mapcode Global: VH95V.5P0F
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 29 July 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320899
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34093
Location: Sodbury, South Gloucestershire, BS37
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Sodbury
Built-Up Area: Old Sodbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Old Sodbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 78 SE SODBURY CHURCH LANE
2/46 OLD SODBURY
Parish Church of
St John the Baptist
C12, restored, C15 tower. Norman origins. Remodelled except tower and heavily
restored in 1858, probably by T. H. Wyatt (see 'Buildings of England'). In plan:
West tower, Nave with north and south aisles, north and south transepts. Chancel.
Projecting south porch.
Rubble. Modern reproduction stone tile roof with some Cotswold stone tiles.
Three stage tower with clasping buttresses to part of lower stage. Twin lancet
windows to belfry castellated parapet with pinnacles. Restored Norman south doorway
4 bay Nave; round piers with waterleaf/trumpet capitals; round arches, easternmost
bays to transepts are Early English. Windows at west end of aisles are Norman, others
Two bay C19 Chancel. Reticulated window in south transept.
Early English tower arch with short shafts on corbel heads and stiff leaf capitals.
Octagonal Perpendicular font. Numerous fine monuments: In north transept 2 ogee
headed tomb recesses; one with a carved wooden effigy of a knight C14; the other a
stone military effigy in high relief, circa 1240.
In south transept 2 good Baroque tablets to Daniel Burcombe 1712 and 1702. Under
tower a collection of finely carved C18 and C19 tablets and one, 1676 to William
Sheen, with a segmental pediment and funerary symbolism.
In north aisle marble tablet to Thomas Brooke, 1813.
Numerous good examples of C18 and Cl9 table tombs in churchyard.
Listing NGR: ST7555781803
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings