History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Claverham House

A Grade II Listed Building in Yatton, North Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.392 / 51°23'31"N

Longitude: -2.8013 / 2°48'4"W

OS Eastings: 344345

OS Northings: 166186

OS Grid: ST443661

Mapcode National: GBR JG.RD33

Mapcode Global: VH7CG.D8FR

Entry Name: Claverham House

Listing Date: 20 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320966

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33853

Location: Yatton, North Somerset, BS49

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Yatton

Built-Up Area: Yatton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Yatton

Listing Text

YATTON C.P. STREAMCROSS (south side) Claverham
ST 46 NW
5/190 Claverham House
- II

House. Dated 1744 with mid C19 alterations. Rubble with limestone dressings,
C19 work in limestone ashlar, hipped mansard pantiled roof with crestings and
2 stacks to each side. 2 storeys and 5 bays, first floor has sashes in exposed
boxes with splayed stone heads and keystones, ground floor has square C19 bay
right and left with 2 plate-glass sashes to front, panelled frieze and cornice,
central C19 porch has pilasters on pedestals, panelled double doors in round-
headed opening with moulded surround, keystone and fanlight with radial glazing
bars, parapet and cornice; 3 gabled C19 dormers each with 2-light casement and
finial; rubble parapet with cornice ramped up to sides to ball finial on stem,
rusticated quoin strips, plinth. Attached to left and set forward, 1 1/2 storey C19
addition with square bay to front with 4 narrow plate-glass sashes with
shouldered heads, one similar sash to each side of bay, panelled parapet and
cornice, small 2-light casement above with chamfered stone mullion and hood
mould, rusticated quoin strips, moulded string carried around bay, stepped gable
over all with ball finial to top and sides, plinth. Right return has parapet
and cornice returned, carried across between 2 ashlar stacks; two 2-light attic
casements with large ovolo-moulded mullions, lead rainwater head dated SC 1744.
Left return has external stack to side of C19 addition with similar sash; gable
end of main house has 2 tall attic lights, one ovolo mullion and one chamfered,
both plate-glass, lead rainwater head with patterned front. Rear has 3 bays to
left, (2-storey rear wing attached to right, now in separate occupation and not
included in list); 2 bays to left have ground and first floor sashes with thicker
glazing bars in deep stepped reveals with splayed stone head and keystones at
ground floor, 2 cellar openings with relieving arches, 2-light casement with
large ovolo mullion and iron stanchions to left, door to right and small 3-pane
C20 light; 3rd bay has large round-headed sash in raised stone surround with
keystone, Gothic tracery glazing bars; single storey flat-roofed C20 porch to
right with panelled door and 5-light window to rear; one 2-light gabled dormer
and rooflight. Interior: not inspected, said to contain good staircase and
several C19 fireplaces.


Listing NGR: ST4434566186

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.