This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0633 / 52°3'47"N
Longitude: -0.4261 / 0°25'34"W
OS Eastings: 507989
OS Northings: 241715
OS Grid: TL079417
Mapcode National: GBR G30.M2B
Mapcode Global: VHFQN.KDKM
Plus Code: 9C4X3H7F+8G
Entry Name: Haynes Park
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 10 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321815
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37632
Location: Haynes, Central Bedfordshire, MK45
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Haynes
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Haynes
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/03/2016
(Formerly listed as Clarendon School, previously listed as Haynes School)
Country house. Originally called Hawnes. Various building periods, incorporating and replacing earlier structures. W elevation c.1725 for Lord Carteret (Earl Granville from 1744, and prominent statesman), probably by Thomas Ripley of the Board of Works. S elevation c.1785-90 for Henry Thynne, Baron Carteret, probably by James Lewis. E elevation 1849-50 for Rev. Lord John Thynne, Canon and Sub-dean of Westminster, by Cubitts. W elevation is red brick with flared headers, with later white brick parapet. S and E elevations are white brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Square quadrangular building of 2 storeys and attics with C19 and C20 additions to N forming another courtyard. W elevation: 5-bay facade, articulated by brick pilasters, 4 to central bay, 2 each to outer bays, supporting rubbed brick moulded cornices. 2:3:3:3:2 sash windows with glazing bars under gauged brick segmental heads. Doorway to RH of central bay. S elevation: 3:7:3 sash windows, first floor ones with glazing bars, ground floor ones without glazing bars. Projecting outer bays have 2 storeyed bows. To centre of recessed block are 4 Portland stone Corinthian pilasters with paterae to surmounting entablature. Balustraded parapet with Carteret arms to centre. E elevation: 10 window range, all sashes. Off-centre Greek Doric portico with paired columns to centre. Double art-glazed doors in moulded surround. Balustraded parapet, similar to S front. N elevation: rather plain, parts obscured by C20 additions. Variety of ridge stacks. Interior: W wing contains c.1725 open well oak staircase with paired fluted Tuscan column balusters, Corinthian newels, foliate carving to open strings and parquetry quarter-landings. Retains also some wood panelling and fielded panel doors. S wing retains c.1790 decoration to entrance hall and corridor in Neo-Classical style. Hall decoration includes high relief plaster overdoors and oval plaster panels with female figures. Corridor, vaulted, with rounded half-domed ends, has plasterwork decoration incorporating vines, oak leaves and squirrels. E wing retains marble fireplaces with Ionic columns.
C. Hussey "Hawnes, Bedfordshire", Country Life, Dec 29th 1934, pp.692-697).
Listing NGR: TL0798941715
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings