This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4914 / 51°29'29"N
Longitude: -1.4811 / 1°28'51"W
OS Eastings: 436122
OS Northings: 177068
OS Grid: SU361770
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z8.JC8
Mapcode Global: VHC1F.8SV1
Plus Code: 9C3WFGR9+HH
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 6 February 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321874
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39307
Location: East Garston, West Berkshire, RG17
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: East Garston
Built-Up Area: East Garston
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: East Garston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STATION ROAD (OFF)
Church of All Saints
Church. C12 with C14 extensions and chancel rebuilt and extensive restoration 1876 by J.W. Hugall and E.C. Christian. Flint with Bath stone dressings and brick and Bath stone bands, chalk elements, slate roof. Cruciform plan with central tower, C14 North Chapel, south aisle and porch.
Tower: three stages with crenellated parapet and grotesque gargoyles, paired trefoil headed lights under square label mould to bell chamber above clock face.
South aisle: Crenellated parapet and moulded cornice, angle buttress and central buttress between square headed windows with two and three ogee headed lights.
South Porch: stonefaced to south with crenellated parapet and moulded cornice, simple semi-circular headed doorway with label mould.
South transept: Gable parapet, stone sundial set at angle in gable on corbel with carved head, above two-light window.
Chancel: Three two-light windows with trefoil heads under pointed arch with label mould, moulded cill string and corner buttress.
East window: geometric style, three large pointed lights below circular light under two centred arch and label mould with carved heads as corbels.
North Chapel: Gable parapet with moulded string and three carved heads, curious East window possibly inserted c.1684, three-light with much cusping and flowing tracery under deformed two centred arch with plain label mould, corner buttress. North elevation of nave has two-light and one-light windows with plain pointed arches.
Interior: Walls plastered and painted. Chancel; painted timber ceiling, occasional paintings of saints on walls. Tower: crossing arches rebuilt 1876. North Chapel: ornate cusped kingpost truss, painted reredos by Westlake, piscina in south wall surmounted by carved head and flanked by escutcheons. C18 marble memorials to Seymour family, two on south wall one on north wall, aedicule with curved broken pediment enclosing arms. Nave: Tree of Jesse painted by Westlake on east wall around tower arch. Three bay arcade rebuilt c.1876 to south aisle of simple two centred arches. Hexagonal carved C17 timber pulpit on C20 base and steps. South Aisle, C19 font set inside south door, holy water stoup in wall beside south door. South door has C12 semi-circular arch with square block and keeled roll ornament on columns with trumpet scallop caps.
Listing NGR: SU3612277068
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings