This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9096 / 51°54'34"N
Longitude: 0.9566 / 0°57'23"E
OS Eastings: 603464
OS Northings: 227578
OS Grid: TM034275
Mapcode National: GBR SN1.8P3
Mapcode Global: VHKG0.J8LG
Entry Name: Moze Hall and Attached Front Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 30 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322647
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120355
Location: Ardleigh, Tendring, Essex, CO7
Civil Parish: Ardleigh
Built-Up Area: Fox Street
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Ardleigh St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
ARDLEIGH OFF COLCHESTER ROAD
TM 02 NW
5/10 Moze Hall and attached
front wall and railings
House. C15 with later alterations and additions. Timber framed. C18 red brick
faced ground floor and first floor of centre range, this with dentilled eaves
cornice, plastered first floors to crosswings. Red plain tiled roof. Hall
house with right and left gabled crosswings, chimney stacks to right and left
returns and rear of central range. Crosswings originally jettied. Later rear
ranges including stair turret by rear chimney stack. First floor 1:2:1 window
range of square leaded casements with pightle hinges, those to right and left
cross transomed, the central windows 3 light. Ground floor left 2 light, right
3 light similar casements, central 3 light casement under a segmental head. Sun
Insurance plaque to first floor. 2 similar windows to return first floor. Door
to left of central range, 4 panel 2 light, moulded surround, pediment on
brackets. Single storey right lean-to. Internally the hall has an inserted
ceiling. Large C16 inglenook fireplace with 3 rear niches with concave head
angles. Heavy ceiling and bridging joists and original boards to inserted
ceiling. There is a doorway with a square head and a second blocked doorway.
Moulded ceiling beams to one room. Original mullions to cross transom windows.
Stair turret to side of inglenook, stairs with turned balusters. Most of the
first floor frame is covered but visible features are jowled storey posts,
halved and bridled top plate scarf and square plan crown post base supported by
a tie beam which was formerly arch braced, the crown post arms now hidden by a
ceiling. Sooted rafters. Original vertically boarded doors and C17 panelled
door. Rear, late C18 kitchen range has a brick fireplace with mantel beam of
re-used medieval timber, brick floor. The front wall of red brick extends from
the left of the left crosswing to the west and turns south to enclose the front
garden where the cast iron C19 railings with ornate arrow heads are supported on
a low brick plinth. One of the 4 manors of Ardleigh, sometimes known as More
Hall. Philips Bromley, Yeoman lived here 1796. The farm has been surveyed by 3
map-makers, Samuel Cosin, 1636, William Kendall 1736 and Peter le Neve 1806.
F.H. Erith "Ardleigh in 1796, 1978. RCHM 10.
Listing NGR: TM0346427578
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings