This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6259 / 54°37'33"N
Longitude: -2.0825 / 2°4'57"W
OS Eastings: 394770
OS Northings: 525639
OS Grid: NY947256
Mapcode National: GBR FGWY.YJ
Mapcode Global: WHB3X.ZZHM
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322768
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111932
Location: Middleton in Teesdale, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Middleton in Teesdale
Built-Up Area: Middleton-in-Teesdale
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Middleton-in-Teesdale
Church of England Diocese: Durham
MIDDLETON IN TEESDALE TOWN HEAD
NY 9425 (East side)
24/131 (inset) Church of St. Mary
Parish church. 1878 by C. Hodgson Fowler on medieval church site. Squared
sandstone in courses of varied thickness with quoins and ashlar dressings;
roof of graduated grey/green slates with roll-moulded ridge tiles and stone
gable coping. 4-bay aisled nave with south porch; 3-bay chancel with north
vestry and organ chamber. Steps up to open arch in buttressed porch under
steep gable; inner double boarded doors with strap hinges; both arches
pointed, the outer with 3 hollow chamfers under leaf-stopped dripmould, the
inner with beakhead corbels, 2 wide chamfers. Pointed-arched windows, with
cusped Y-tracery in aisles and chancel; 3-light in east end of south aisle
with intersecting tracery; similar style 4-light west window. Cusped
reticulated tracery in 5-light east window; stepped sill string to chancel.
2-light square-headed clerestory windows with cusped tracery. Stone cross
finials on nave and on lower chancel; coping also on pent aisle roofs.
Interior: painted plaster with ashlar arcades and dressings; collared king-
post nave roof on corbels; panelled chancel roof. Double-chamfered pointed
arcades on octagonal piers; similar chancel arch on head-corbelled shafts.
Re-used 2-light medieval window in organ chamber. Tub font on medieval
octagonal pedestal and 3 chamfered medieval shafts. 14 grave covers (some
incomplete) with incised decoration, and some fragments of chevron moulding,
built into north wall. North chancel wall has small brass to Simon Comyer
d.1620, with brass coat of arms above. C19 chancel screen and furnishings.
Glass includes some late C19; 2 windows dated and signed 1982 by G. Maile
Studio, Canterbury - including St. Miriam, to an organist. Early C19 poor
box with 2 locks and inscription in Roman capitals.
Source: P. Ryder, Medieval Grave Covers of County Durham.
Listing NGR: NY9477025639
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings