This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5959 / 54°35'45"N
Longitude: -1.6161 / 1°36'57"W
OS Eastings: 424903
OS Northings: 522365
OS Grid: NZ249223
Mapcode National: GBR KH49.X9
Mapcode Global: WHC5H.4RP3
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 20 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322953
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110776
Location: Heighington, Darlington, DL5
Civil Parish: Heighington
Built-Up Area: Heighington
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Heighington
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 2422 HEIGHINGTON CHURCH VIEW
(South side, off)
10/27 Church of
20/3/67 St. Michael
Parish church. Pre-Conquest tower, nave and chancel; c.1160-1170 chancel
rebuilt and third stage of tower added; possibly C13 vestry; C13 chantry chapel
extended in C14 to form south aisle; C15 tower parapet; c.1840 restorations;
north aisle, south porch and organ chamber 1872-5 by Ewan Christian. Coursed
squared stone, snecked 1872 additions; green slate roofs. West tower; aisled
nave with south porch; chancel (comprising presbytery and sanctuary) with north
vestry and organ chamber.
3-stage tower: probably C19 south doorway; small round-headed windows on south
and west; twin bell openings on third stage; embattled parapet with gargoyles.
3-bay nave: round-arched south doorway with zigzag and billet mouldings (moved
from north wall 1875); relief of King and Bishop above door; steeply-pitched
roof. South aisle restored 2- and 3-light square-headed windows: C18 wall
sundial; moulded parapet; lancet on west return; 3 stepped lancets on east
return. Gabled porch incorporating sculptural fragments. North aisle 3-light
windows and tall gabled east bay.
2-bay presbytery and taller narrower one-bay sanctuary. Restored Priest's door
and flanking C19 windows on south; C10-Cll round-headed window on north. C19
sanctuary windows and 2 strings on south; 3-light 1872 east window. Continuous
steeply-pitched chancel roof. One-bay organ chamber with reused lancet; vestry
with tall stack.
Plastered interior: c.1160 round 3-order tower and chancel arches, the latter
on half-pier responds with scallop capitals. Double-chamfered, pointed 3-bay
south arcade on octagonal piers. Similar C19 north arcade on round piers.
Piscina at east end of south aisle.
Fittings and monuments: In tower C14 octagonal font, cross slab with sword and
2 worn C13 female effigies. Large slab and wood donation plaque to John March
died 1590. 5 hatchments (including two of C17) around tower arch. Wall
monument to George Crossyer died 1669, south of chancel arch. Restored early
C16 wood pulpit. Chancel stalls with some C16 poppyheads. On chancel north
wall 2 grave slabs; armorial brass to Sir Anthony Byerley died 1667; wall
monument with naval trophies by I. Ternouth of Pimlico to Capt. William Pryce
Cumby, hero of Trafalgar, died 1837. 1899 stone reredos. Stained glass by
Clayton and Bell 1875, by Heaton, Butler and Bayne 1875 and by Wailes and
(Rev. J.F. Hodgson, Church of St. Michael,Heighington, Transactions of the
Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland, Volume V,
Listing NGR: NZ2490322364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings