This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5243 / 54°31'27"N
Longitude: -1.5574 / 1°33'26"W
OS Eastings: 428746
OS Northings: 514428
OS Grid: NZ287144
Mapcode National: GBR KJK3.MX
Mapcode Global: WHC5X.1JNX
Plus Code: 9C6WGCFV+P3
Entry Name: The Mechanics' Institute
Listing Date: 6 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322961
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110715
Location: Darlington, DL3
Electoral Ward/Division: Park East
Built-Up Area: Darlington
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Darlington St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Durham
1. (East Side)
The Mechanics' Institute
NZ 2814 SE 8/133
Dated 1854 by Pritchett. Imposing though heavy classical facade added to somewhat
earlier building. Two storeys, 5 windows. Slightly projecting 3-bay pedimented
centre. Bays divided by giant pilasters with stone capitals resting on plinth
and carrying entablature. End pilasters also. First floor band runs between them.
Large paned sash windows with glazing bars, the outer ones on ground floor tripartite
with pilasters and entablature; the centre ones with console bracketed cornices
and pediments. Half glazed central double door with oblong fanlight in prostyle
porch with paired columns (the outer ones square) up 4 stone steps.
Title in raised lettering on centre frieze.
Left return of pinkish brick, 3 storeys, 4 windows, some being blank panels, Others
are sashes with delicate glazing bars. Some later C19 insertions on groud floor.
Rear elevation shows 3 giant elliptical-arched recesses holding windows.
Listing NGR: NZ2874614428
Other nearby listed buildings