This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.547 / 54°32'49"N
Longitude: -1.7392 / 1°44'21"W
OS Eastings: 416969
OS Northings: 516889
OS Grid: NZ169168
Mapcode National: GBR JH9V.8T
Mapcode Global: WHC5M.8Z23
Entry Name: The Mansion House
Listing Date: 14 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323007
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111061
Location: Gainford, County Durham, DL2
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Gainford
Built-Up Area: Gainford
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Gainford
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 1616 - 1716 GAINFORD HIGH ROW
9/108 (The Mansion House)
Substantial house. Late C18 main block with early C19 addition to right and
later wing attached to rear. Main block and addition: roughcast masonry with
painted ashlar dressings; graduated green slate roofs with brick stacks. Rear
wing: dressed sandstone; pantiled roof with double course of sandstone flags
at eaves; ashlar stacks.
3-storey, 3-bay main block has low plinth, ground floor sill band, raised and
chamfered quoins and sashes in raised surrounds. Part-glazed 4-panel door,
with radial fanlight and archivolt, in pedimented Tuscan doorcase with fluted
frieze and angle paterae; two 12-pane sashes to left. 12-pane sashes to first
floor and 9-pane sashes to second floor. Low-pitched roof has coped gables
with shaped kneelers; two rebuilt end chimneys.
Low 2-storey, 2-bay addition has boarded door in raised surround and blocked
carriage arch to left. Carriage arch has raised surround with keystone and
impost blocks, inserted latticed casement and blocked window above. Moderately-
pitched roof has coped right gable.
Rear of house has two round-arched staircase windows. 2-storey, 3-bay rear
wing has 9-pane sashes in raised surrounds. Steeply-pitched hipped roof
with 2 stepped and corniced ridge stacks.
Listing NGR: NZ1696916889
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings